New six cylinder engines have no dipstick

Page 1 of 3
OK, maybe I'm slow on the uptake. But I've only just realised the new sixes have no dipstick! I'm GUESSING they just have an idiot light or MID error message for low oil level. When that comes up I suppose you
either guess how much oil to add or add a fixed amount (say a litre).
What fun. I think idiot light is a great idea. But personally if I'm about to undertake a long journey I like to know if the oil's at the top mark on the dipstick or near the bottom and soon to need a top up.

I reckon. It's alomost possible even now; the Northstar V8 for instance.) I'd still prefer to replace the fluids on a regular basis whether the manufacturer's service data said I needed to or not. JB

And even in the late 70's, some (normally older) people still believed that they had to remove their heads and carry out a decoke every 30,000miles and rebore at 60,000!! Like any other technological advancement before, it would take quite some time to be accepted by the majority of the population, with a small % never ever accepting it. (Look where we are now as regards people not wanting to accept the ability of a modern synthetic longlife oil to work for 13,000 miles, wasting money by changing it at 7000ish) Badger.
Badger wrote:

Perhaps, but somehow going from a linear mechanical display of oil level (aka dipstick) to a binary indication (idiot light) does not seem like progress to me...
Perhaps if they provided and "oil level indicator" in the check control or something that told me how low the oil was, not just when it was too low? I can't believe that would be all that expensive and it sure would be cool...
-Fred W
Malt_Hound wrote:

Especially considering BMW's shitty electrical systems. I wouldn't trust one of their dials for something like this, ever. Besides, pulling out an oil dipstick is something all men are supposed to enjoy. There's nothing like pulling that stick out, and feeling and eyeballing that oil between the thumb and index finger, right?
-- Cliff
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

I'm guessing its like the CSL with a "digital dipstick" on the OBC which shows the level to .1l (I think).

That I can live with. Until it breaks (seen loads of 15+ year old BMWs with faulty oil level idiot lights). Dipsticks tend not to break, and I imagine they're cheaper.

Which of these benefits BMW and/or its repair facilities?
bd snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I know this question was rhetorical, but I would counter that both attributes would directly and indirectly benefit the manufacturer.
They don't break - less repairs under warranty which is completely funded by the manufacturer. Direct financial benefit.
They're cheaper? Well, that's pretty obvious. If they don't cost as much to make and yet they get the same price from a consumer, well, that goes right to the bottom line...
Now, there's one more thing that you can do with an electronic oil level gauge that you can't do with a dipstick and that's record the oil level in the ECU memory in the event of a failure. That could be a way for the manufacturer to dodge major warranty claims based on negligence.
-Fred W
John Burns wrote:

Many of the 15 year old BMWs I've seen have nothing electrical still working, but at least the dipstick still does. Heck, you can drive most of them *another* 200k in that condition, and then some.
Matt O.
BMW doesnt want you to have the cars that long so when engine goes on no oil u gotta buy another one

Both my E39 528 at 80,000 miles and my 150,000 mile ancient Rover SD1 with the Buick V-8 will run to oil change time without needing topping up. However, as with all my cars, I drive them gently until fully warm.
But both have low oil level warning systems anyway.
I'm happy to see the dipstick go. When last did you dip your fuel tank to know the level? ;-)
--
*The statement below is true.

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
<<< SNIP >>>

I think this is a flawed analogy. If you run out of gas because of a faulty gauge/warning light, your engine will stop, perhaps inconveniently, and you will undoubtedly stress your fuel pump. If your oil sensor fails, your engine can fail, a much worse situation. Call me old fashion, but I just can't see not having a way to physically check oil levels.
    - Jon

The low oil level light does that for you.
--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I guess I'm not clear. I worry that the sensor or light itself will fail thereby not warning about low oil level. No way for a dipstick to fail. Only failure is to not check and in that case the miscreant gets what he deserves. Hmmmm, maybe I am a luddite. In fact, I can remember using a stick to measure the amount of gasoline (I should say petrol) in my old MG TD. It had a low gasoline light that was flacky at best and was very difficult to see in the daylight. By the time I had a '53 Jag XK120MC I had a real gas guage, of course then I had the flacky fuel pump oh so conveniently placed underneath the car -- much sport to get out and under and wack it to get it going again.
    - Jon
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sure, if it's still working.
Matt O.

How do you check the oil levels in your gearbox and final drive? Failures of either of these would be an equally catastrophic event. And I'm old enough to remember these too having dipsticks.
--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

that fluid is just at lower edge of hole. While I don't do this with the frequency of cheking my oil, I do check periodically and I support the petroleum industry by replacing tranny and diff fluids every 50K miles, not believing that any lubricant is "lifetime." But then I keep cars for a minimum of 10 years, often more. Usual clutch life in excess of 185K miles.
    - Jon
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm old enough to remember when they leaked.
Matt O.

And I'm old enough to remember when the majority of engines burnt oil at modest mileage and needed a re-bore perhaps twice before the body disintegrated. These days, most decent engines outlive the bodywork - or other things which send a car to the scrapyard.
--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.