Oil is Oil?

I have 3 BMW. 1996 BMW 1.9 Z3 106k miles (the wife's). 1996 BMW 328i 257k miles. 2000 BMW 540i Sport 73K mile.
I've used what ever quality oil (non synthetic) is on sale at Costo on all
the cars (540i new addition) and as you can see from the 328i I get lots of millage out of my cars without any oil related problems.
So what's the advantage of using synthetic if I can get 250k miles (328i still runs great)? I adhere to the belief that changing oil more frequently than manufactures recommendations is a good idea. Dirty oil is dirty oil, so changing more often is best practice.

In the US, the BMW OEM was synthetic in your 540i and dino in your Z3 & 328i. My preference is BMW synthetic (cheaper in my area than Mobil 1), coupled with one interim change between the factory recommended ca. 15,000 mile changes .
Tom K.
"Bob Rowlands" wrote

The advantage is that you can run longer between oil changes. For some people changing oil often is a waste of time, so they prefer to do it less often. Synthetic also flows faster at very low starting temps resulting in less engine wear (most wear occurs at startup), but whether the difference is big enough to actually notice it is debatable.
It is true though that today's mineral oils aren't what they used to be just 20 years ago. They offer protection that is very close to the one obtained from a synthetic oil.

Not sure what you mean by 'dirty'. Are you saying that when it visually appears darker it's time to change? I would argue with that. Some oils in some applications tend to darken quite fast. That does not mean that they can no longer do the job (of protecting the engine from wear). Take a typical diesel engine for example - it'll darken the oil within a few hundred miles. That does not mean that you need to change it this often.
Pete

You need more practice at being a first class troll. This is barely third class trolling. --

Hey, he enticed two of us to feed him - I'd say 2nd class, at least.
Tom K.
"Tom K." wrote

Yeah, I fell right into that one. :)
Pete

Must mean you are also a fine gentleman of discerning taste!
Tom K.
Big Clobby Bobber wrote:

Aw comeon. He used the "oil" word. I'd say it's at least second class trolling.
--
-Fred W

And don't forget, "Oil's fair in love, war & Usenet."
Tom K.