"Strut Towers are Pushed Up" my 98 528

Hello All,
I brought my car into the dealer for an alignment job. The tech called me later saying that under the current conditions of the suspension, that alignment would be wasted money. He cited a few
items that sound pretty expensive, so I had him pull the plug until I could afford replacement.
Later I received the invoice (no charge), with specifics of their findings, and one thing really concerns me. They are saying that the "Strut Towers are Pushed Up". My question is, is this as bad as it sounds? These things look like part of the body, or undercarriage.
Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Erick
Larry wrote:

I would bring it to another shop for a second opinion. Don't mention the first dealers opinion, just ask them to thoroughly inspect the suspension and do an alignment if it doesn't need any parts. Ask them to give you a call should it need any parts or anything more than just an alignment.
--
-Fred W

It sounds like you landed on the nose gear too hard. You're supposed to pull the stick back and flare just a bit so the nose doesn't hit first ...

Have you ever thought of going to a BMW Stealer to get it checked or even a decent body shop and have it put on an alignment jig - might cost but they could do it at a weekend for a small fee to the operator.
At least you'll know if it's scrap or just bent slightly.
Some of these jigs use laser alignment and hydraulic rams to push/pull the chassis back into line. There are large ones operated by "Truck-Align" that repair the chassis of trucks (obviously) when twisted or damaged without stripping the rails or mechanicals off.
Just a thought

Not sure if this is the same thing, but there was a recall on early E39 for the front struts - the platform that the spring bears on breaks. But when it happened to me it was a major fault - it cut through the tyre. Since it's an aluminium casting I don't think it can just bend slightly - it shears off. But then anything is possible.
--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Larry wrote:

No more Dukes Of Hazzard - style bridge-jumping for you, young man.

-----
How did they determine the towers were pushed up? Doesn't that take a laser measurement system to determine? Or had they just never seen an e39 before? That body is built pretty tough and I believe there would be more visible damage had this happened. I'm probably wrong though.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i