which 316i with valvetronic engine

hi,
i'm new to the bmw world. and hopefully i'll soon make my first bmw purchase (second hand).
can anybody tell me which of the 316i has got the valvetronic engine?
i know it's an e46 but i can't find the year.
i know the e46 318i from 2001 onwards have got the valvetronic engine. initially thought about getting the 318i. but given the price difference between a 318i and 316i, i might as well get the latter, all be it, at the expense of some bhp.
i'm looking for 316i with the valvetronic engine as i've read they are more economical on fuel. but i can't find out from which year did the 316i get the valvetronic engines.
any help/information is welcome.
cheers gj
forgot to mention ... i'm in the uk gj
On 11 Mar, 11:19, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'll think you might find that the 318 is more economical than a 316 in most circumstances.

Agreed. In fact on some later models both are 1.9s! But the "1.6" has a different camshaft and ecu so it makes less power.