Swapping HEI distributor, bypass computer

Anyone have experience with this? What are the three wires on the HEI for? I'm thinking alternator, ignition and not sure what the other is...... if I'm even right at all..... Has anyone done this?

If you are talking about the three wire conector that comes out of the main body of the HEI, that actually plugs into the cap and connects the coil mounted in the cap to the distributor. Also on the cap right next to where the three wire connector goes will be another connection for a two wire plug. One wire is +12v, and the other is for the tach. They will be plainly labled on the cap. Gary

One wire is +12v, and the other is for the tach =====================================Does the +12v go to the alternator?

I had it switched to my ignition.
---------------------------
The +12v connection needs to go to a point that is only hot when the key is on. Otherwise your engine will never shut off. Or at least not 'till it runs out of gas. :) I ran mine from the fuse box. Make sure you use at least a 12 gauge wire, as the instantaneous current draw can be quite high.
Gary

This wire should already be there if it was on a computer controlled car. If it was between 1974 and 2000 it pretty much got one form or another of the HEI unless it was the LS1 or one of the other distributorless engines like the 3800. After 81 it most likely would have been computer controlled. When swapping into a pre-1974 Camaro (and some early 1974's) you would need to bypass the original +12v wire and go into a keyed +12v source because the wire is a resistor wire and will not supply enough amperage to run an HEI.
--
Mr. Floppy

You are right I think.... a heavy guage red wire is already there and ready to plug in..... so the other smaller brown wire must be the tach wire....??????

Correct.
--
Mr. Floppy

Thanks again...... though I think I have my distributor 180 out because it isn't firing yet.

....and I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting the valves correctly.... (I should have soaked my lifters in oil over night)..... duh.....