Bypass relay

Hi I have wired a 7 way bypass relay to earth and permament live ( with an inline fuse between relay and live connection ) with no other wires connected yet. As soon as I put in the inline fuse I get a constant high pitched whistle coming from the relay box. If I connect the towbar plug socket wires it does the same. I then connected the rear light wires from the vehicle. It still whistles. Obviously removing the fuse at each step. Does this mean the relay is faulty or am I doing something wrong? Regards

Reply to
petetop

I know nothing about them, but is this explanation of any help ? (I noticed no one picked up your ealier query)

Andy Cap

Hi Thanks for that, I have aquired a wiring diagram, same as in that shortcut. My problem is now when I connect the relay to my battery it constantly whistles. Regards Pete

Reply to
petetop

Is that not the sounder, which indicates the trailer indicators are working OK ?

I would be inclined to make those two connections and see if the sounder stays off.

Reply to
Andy Cap

I have just wired up the left and right indicators to the relay, still constant whistling when the 12v is connected. I ignored the whistling and tried the indicators, the tester showed power was going to them through the relay but still got a constant whistling. Regards

Reply to
petetop

It sounds as though you have the wiring screwed up or the wrong relay

You dont say which car or if its a canbus or muliplexed system it makes a difference to how you install

You may find a terminal marked tt make sure its not connected to earth

Check out the towsure website they have a pdf document on installing these types of relays

Reply to
steve robinson

Its a bit hard to screw the wiring up when you have only live and earth connected straight to battery. No I haven't got the "TT" connected to anything. The vehicle is a vectra c. I have connected yellow to left indicator and green to right indicator. Even without these connected it still whistles. The relay is a 7 way bypass relay model no. TEB7AS Regards

Reply to
petetop

Not really its amazing how many people do screw up the connections

No I haven't got the "TT"

The vehicle is a vectra c. I have

The TEB7AS is for CAN BUS or multiplexed systems , according to towing electrics website , its quite possible the noise is a fault warning because not picking up the other feeds including braking and tail lights .

CAN BUS systems are not just power supplies they are controlled by ECUs around the car sending out signals constantly , even when the lights are off , similar to a computer network .

I am not sure if the vectra c is fully can bus or just part can bus

Reply to
steve robinson

Sounds like you have a faulty relay since

says itshould only sound if you have a load connected to the flasher circuits.

Reply to
rp

Hi Thats the same wiring diagram I have, thats why I asked if its possibly a faulty relay. Regards Pete

Reply to
petetop

You could always meter the relay out using a multimeter

The vectra has a checking system which will make it tick down until the electrics on the internal lights switch off

My Email is live send me your address and i will send you towsures instructions for installing it , it specifically mentions vectras

Reply to
steve robinson

Think that means relay is faulty, I read about it on Google, as I'm after one myself.

Reply to
stu659

The cuckoo flies backwards over the Kremlin, tovarisch.

Reply to
Scott M

No, you don't want to bypass any relays, you'll blow the battery!

Reply to
The Revd