1999 Suburban starting problem

I own a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 with the 5.7 Vortec engine. Occassionally when I try to start this vehicle it starts and conks out after about 3 seconds. After turning the ignition swith off and back on the engine only starts for a brief moment and then acts as if the fuel is starved and cuts off again. Cranking the engine after this achieves the same results. If I leave the vehicle for three or four hours and then return and try to start, the problem often does not present again. The vehicle will start and run fine. I have tried a few rudamentary troubleshooting procedures. I have tapped on the fuel tank while trying to start, nothing. I have kept the vehicle full of fuel and close to empty to try and get some trend to show, nothing. It does not seem to be affected by the heat or cold. The fuel pump is very loud, but that has been the case since I purchased it new. It does not pop any codes and the check engine light never comes on. It will often go for months without presenting any problem. In fact it has been about three months since it did this. I bow to the guru's for help. Dan

Reply to
Dan

Dan, Try starting with the simple things first. Check the filters. Fuel or air. I'm thinking mostly the fuel filter. The fuel injection is most likely not getting enough pressure to run the system. Also I've learned that if your filter is partially plugged (Like with moisture). It may not act up all the time. I don't know if that is it for certain. But it's an inexpensive place to start. May also want to try some cleaner through the fuel after you change the filter. A plugged up injector can also reak havick. But just with what your saying I'd bank on the filter. That's my two cents anyway!

Reply to
Daveman