F150 (1999) Starting Problem

Help! I bought a used F150 at Carmax -- ever since I bought it, it will occaisionally make a grinding noise when I try to start it
(sounds like when you start a vehicle that's already running). The noise is loud and abrasive. They replaced the starter -- that didn't fix it. Of course, they can't duplicate the problem when it's on- site. A co-worker said it may be the ring gear. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Carmax guys can't figure it out -- I've taken it there three times -- it there, again.

The flywheel/flex plate has a bad spot on the ring gear that the starter engages. Only way to fix it is too pull the transmission and replace the ring gear. I suspect the guys at Carmax know exactly what is wrong, but don't want to do the work. If you can get a look at the ring gear, just turn the engine over until you get to the bad spot and take a picture and give it to the "guys" at Carmax. Be sure to circle the bad teeth in red, you won't want them to miss the problem again.
Ed

Wow -- awesome Ed! I appreciate the help!