96 Exhaust recomendations

Hey ya all I just purchased a 1996 LT4, I am looking to replace the current exhaust system with something that sounds better, along with more horse power. Stock is too mild and glass packs are too loud. I have looked at Corsa, Flowmaster, ect........ or should I just go a muffler shop and have one customized. any opinions would be helpful Thanks

Reply to
Kevin Livengood

================= I just sold me 95 ... But shortly after I purchsed it I was all set to install a power effects exhaust system....I removed the two rear mufflers and on a whim fired the car up without any mufflers on it at all.... Returned the power effect system and thru on a pair of exhaust eliminators for about 100 bucks... Ran the car that way for years...

Honestly not bad...Resonance really never bothered me or my wife.. normal conversation in the cockpit ...quiet at idle BUT under heavy throddle it sounded good...

BEFORE you "invest" in an aftermarket system...do your self a favor and at least drive the car without "any" mufflers...

Of Course you may have much better ears then I do... but you have noting to loose... Car went thru many emission tests and always passed with no problems without the mufflers.

Bob G

64 72 & 98 Ragtops 76 & 79 Coupes...
Reply to
Bob G.

I have s Sebring (made in Austria) system on my '00. It is not too loud but it sounds much better than the stock exhaust. It is too bad that the manufacturers web sites do not have a recording of how a car will sound.

Reply to
Gopish Too

C4's are very very tricky to get a decent sound out of with resonance being a big issue.

I recommend staying away from the B&B TriFlow cat back system... I paid the big money for the stainless system and it sounded like total CRAP and resonated sooo bad everything inside the car buzzed at 1100-1500 rpm.. Loud droning unappealing sound at idle and then got quiet with an annoying whooshing vacuum cleaner sound when you romped on it... UGGGH

Sent it right back.

Kev>Hey ya all I just purchased a 1996 LT4, I am looking to replace the current

Reply to
RicSeyler

C4 exhaust mods behave differently on coupes and convertibles. I found the Flowmasters nice at idle and with windows down on the street. Way too much drone above between 65 and 75 mph.

Suggestion: fly before you buy -- find someone in a local club with same body type as yours and ask for a quick ride on the street and at highway speed.

Reply to
PJ