C4 Question

Hi,
I've been looking at a C4 Convertible from 86 to buy. Its in a reasonable condition.
What are the things to watch out for ?
A question I have is : i pulled the radiatorcap and there seemed to be some
pressure on the cooling system. Is this normal ?
Thanks
YT
I'll let more experienced Vette owners answer the what to watch for. As far as the cooling system having pressure, that's what the caps for. By keeping the system under pressure, it prevents the coolant boiling over at lower temps.
Rob

Are you serious?
I suggest you take someone with you that knows about cars instead of trying to figure it out yourself.
Maybe he should wait until the temperature gauge reads about 210 before pulling the cap off. ha ha
There will be pressure - lots of it - and a lot of very hot coolant spraying out all over you the hotter the car is. People get seriously hurt by doing what you did. Count yourself lucky. NEVER remove a radiator cap if the car is hot or warm.
To start with, I suggest you read the owner's manual from cover to cover. Most never do, because they already know how to operate a car, but if you are pulling radiator caps off and don't know there is pressure there, you'd better start on page 1.

Tom in Missouri wrote:

I think I finally know why there are warning labels on hair dryers.
It goes along with the lawn mower warnings - Do Not Place Hands under Here when Running.
Let's see, it cuts grass, but it won't hurt my fingers????
It is a shame- it would help clean up the gene pool if there weren't so many warnings to protect the, well how do I get "politically correct" on this, stupid. The dumb and dumber continue to grow and breed and make even dumber ones.

Not everyone knows a lot about cars, he was just asking a question. My suggestion is to take the car to a professional wrench that is familiar with Corvettes and have him do a pre purchase inspection. if it is a late 86 with aluminum heads you might want him to do a chemical test to see if there is any presence of combustion chamber gases in the cooling system. make sure all of the switches ie if it has the sport seats, do the lumbar supports still inflate? and do lights work and there are no diagnostic trouble codes set. Greg

Good point: do the lights work? That one cost me some time and money before I figured it out. Seems easy now,but at the time I also was an amatuer Vette owner. It may have been a stupid question but he sure knows the answer now.

hehehe, you guys are ruthless :-)
I was thinking he might know enough to think the "pressure" was bubbles flowing in the coolant (ie head gasket blown) but if he knew bubbles flowing was something to look out for, he should already be aware of a head gasket causing it. <shrugs shoulders> :-)
Anyone remember the outdoor game JARTS? From the 60's..... Can you imagine that being sold now? LOLOL Lets get a group of kids together and have them hurl 2 pound metal sharpened projectiles at each other.
YT wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

I have a set of those at home. I guess they're collector items... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?