C5 mirror problem

Can anyone tell me how complicated it will be to fix the my drivers side mirror on my 97 C5? The mirror assembly is now loose and will not lock into
position, and will freely rotate. It was not bumped or bent back as far as I know, I simply noticed it out of adjustment, then noticed that the whole assembly was twisted out of alignment. Any suggestions on how to fix it short of taking it into the dealer?
If it's the whole mirror assembly, you'll have to take the door panel off and tighten the bolts from the inside.
-Stan

Its just the modular part that contains the mirror, the pylon that is attached to the door itself is fine.

The clip came off of my '97 passenger side mirror and I could see that the groove the clip fits into was very shallow. Not much to hold the clip in. I fixed mine by using a Dremel cut off wheel and going around the groove to deepen it just alittle bit. It was a bitch to get the spring clip back into the groove but I haven't had any more problems with it since the repair two years ago. I used a threaded rod, some nuts and washers to compress the whole thing until the clip went back into the newly deepened groove. I used a large socket on top that was large enough to go around and push down on the clip as it was tightened. Hardest part was finding all the stuff in my junk drawer and finding a socket short enough.
'97 C5 Gerry