First oil change. When?

The chief mechanic at the dealer where I bought my 2005 coupe recommended that I get my first oil change at 1000 miles. Is this necessary? He is a
long time friend of mine and I have bought a 1987 Vet and 2 Olds Auroras there so I sort of trust his wisdom.
--
Ron Stewart
Santa Rosa, Calif.

Did the dealer give you a certificate for the oil change? If so then why not? On the other hand the block isn't carrying a load of sand like the iron ones did and there is hardly zip for wear products in todays engine designs.
Ron Stewart wrote:

My 2004 manual said it didnt need changing until the service light came on...that was 7500 miles.
Phil

I changed mine at 1800 miles. Wanted to see how different and difficult to do. Its the same. Will wait until DIC tells me to do the next one. If you are getting a free oil change why not do it? Maybe there are metal shavings that got in, though not likely.
I just bought a 2005 C6 Coupe and the dealer was adamant that I not change the oil initially until at least 3000 and said it wouldn't hurt to go to 7500. I have always changed the oil at 3000 and less on the first oil change but the dealer said with Mobil 1 the oil is hardly used at less than 3000. I double checked this with my son who is an engineer at General Motors and he said definitely don't change it before 3000 and then after go by the sevice reminder.
Rick Tavel Gold Canyon, Arizona

Rick, Your reply makes good sense to me so I think this is what I'll do. I don't get alot of miles on it even tho I drive it almost every day. Thanks, Ron Stewart Santa Rosa, Calif.