First oil change

Went back to my dealer today to get my free oil change on my 2007 Sonata I4. The invoice shows that they used 10W40 oil. The manual states 5W20 recommended with 5W30 and 10W30 being optional, nowhere does it say use

10W40. The invoice shows 4 qts and the manual says 4 1/2 so I checked it to make sure it wasn't low. It doesn't have a line crossways to indicate full but it does have a indentation (like a punch mark) with an "F" further out (higher). The oil is about an quarter inch higher than the "F" which looks to me to be over filled. About a hour after I got back home, my wife came in and told me that oil was leaking under the car. Oil was leaking from the back end of the plastic under cover plate where it must have got caught when they changed the filter. I put a newspaper and a brick under the car to catch the rest until I can get out tomorrow and clean it all up. I don't think I will be taking it back there for any more oil changes. 2 questions 1) Does anyone think I have too much oil? 2) Is the oil catching on the cover plate a common problem and how do you avoid it? thanks
Reply to
Partner

My two cents:

**Too much oil? Probably not - that will be fine. A tad above the line won't hurt. But you may wish to take note if they only put four quarts in and it is that full. Imagine what would happen if 4 1/2 quarts were put in. But I think that will be okay.

**Leaking? Not much of a problem either. Sadly, it seems that automakers don't leave any room for oil to spill, especially out of the filter. It is very common. On my cars, I have to do that with every oil change, no matter how much I try to clean with shop rags around the area of the filter. It's like changing oil is an afterthought to the people building the engine and locating the filter on some of those vehicles.

**But is 10W40 a problem? ABSOLUTELY. Tomorrow, that car must go back and you make them put the right oil in. I mean, if it were even 10W30, I would just let it rest at not going back there. But there can be no reason for putting in an oil like that. Nor can I find the justification why they would use that weight, and not just in your vehicle, but in any new vehicle. Years ago, that used to be a common weight, and for older vehicles, maybe it still it, but not for new ones.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

If you checked the oil properly (best when the engine is cold) and the level is above the full mark, then, yes, you have too much oil in the engine. Also, I would not want 10W40 in my car as this oil is suspected to cause sludge formation due to the high level of additives to achieve the wide viscosity range.

I can't believe a Hyundai dealer would even carry 10W40. Is there a Hyundai model that calls for this?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Idiots. I'd go back and demand another change. The dealer may cause you to lose your warranty. Obvously, you need a new dealer.

The invoice shows 4 qts and the manual says 4 1/2 so I checked it to

They may have pumped in oil from a bulk tank the the idiot did not deck actual use.

It doesn't have a line crossways to indicate full

Should not be a big deal. Well, if it was the proper oil it would not be a big deal.

Two oil changes and not a drop on mine. You just had an incompetent "mechanic" that should never be allowed near your car again. Get them to come out to your house and clean the driveway too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Fwiw, my 2006 V6 Sonata has now had two dealer-performed oil changes, and both times the "full" level has been significantly above the mark on the dipstick. Somewhere between an eighth of an inch and a quarter- inch too much.

On the most recent dealer-performed change, I supplied my own oil: exactly five quarts of Mobil-1 10W20 and the dealer tech did appear to actually use it. Per the manual, five quarts should have given me right at or slightly below full so I have no idea why the stick says more than full. They could have used extra bulk oil too, or taken my oil for fun I guess.... but the stuff in the crankcase smelled like Mobil 1 to me.

Maybe someone can comment on how well these Lamda engines handle excess oil just in case that's happening.

If "full" is not really full, what about the "low" mark?

Reply to
PMDR

Or not quite 100% of the oil drained.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm sure the engineers leave some margin for error on the full-side, but I have no idea how much for a Sonata. I certainly wouldn't want to be more that a quarter inch high and I personally stay at or below full. Many don't realize that being over full a quart can be much worse than being a quart low. If the oil level is high enough that the crankshaft dips into it, very bad things can happen. The oil gets whipped into a foam that isn't easily pumped by the oil pump. This can cause oil starvation and bearing damage in no time at all.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Actually, five quarts should have left you about a quart low. I'd guess they made up the difference with bulk oil.

1/8 to 1/4 inch shouldn't cause any adverse effects. If you're a whole quart overfull, then you start risking problems.
Reply to
hyundaitech

We've been down the 10W-40 trail before. I sure would have it back at the dealers with a VERY P.O.'d look on my face! Get the right stuff in there. Let them know what you think of their 'no service'.

As for the sludge factor, I believe I posted earlier that either BMW or Mercedes specifies 10w-40 in some of their new cars so I don't think they would do that if there were a sludge problem. That has probably been addressed in the newer series of oil specs.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

If the sludge issue has been addressed, then there is no harm to be caused by using 10W40 other than a slight loss in fuel economy.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Yea, you're right, Matt. I was going to mention the loss in gas mileage with the more viscous oil but forgot. :o(

Tom

Reply to
Tom

It's amazing to me how many authorized dealers - regardless of make - maintain their franchises. Next time you're in to your Hyunda service facility - not this one - ask them, just for grins, if they torque the oil drain plug after changing oil. Most don't. I asked the Service Manager of my local Hyundai dealer on which brand of engine coolant they used for routine changes - his response was "Whatever is on sale at NAPA." After servicing my own cars since 1968, I've determined the owner can do a much better job of servicing their own vehicle, within technical capabilities of course.

As others have said, I go back to that dealer and demand he drain the oil sump and fill with either 5W-20 or 5W-30. Ask the Service Manager you would also like to speak to the person who changed the oil.

The oil leak is no doubt due to their carelessness when removing the oil filter. Obviously, they didn't wipe any excess oil from the plastic cover plate after the change. Unfortunately, this is all too common, and is exactly why I change my oil in my Hyundai, and all of my other cars, myself. Document your scheduled service and oil changes on Hyundai's online service website, as well as keeping paper records (and, receipts). This will be more than sufficient to maintain your factory warranty.

Reply to
Don Allen

Actually hyundaitech, its a I4 rather than V6. I'm not really hung up on the 10W40 on the invoice, I suspect that its just a coded slug that's inserted when they do an oil change and they haven't changed it since they started doing business. What I really what to know though is, where exactly on the stick is the full mark. Is it the indentation (point) mark on the stick? There is no line crossways the stick like other cars use. Is there a quart difference in the two indentations on the stick assuming they are meant to be full and low marks? Well the oil is about the same distance above the top( full?) mark as it is between the two marks. Like I said in the OP, about a quarter inch past the "F" . Am I overfilled and how could it get that way if they only used 4 qts like the invoice says. Probable using bulk oil and sloppy measuring? thanks

Reply to
Partner

Sorry about that. Apparently I've lost a little of my reading ability. You rather clearly posted that you had the four cylinder originally. In that case, about 4.5 quarts will be correct to put the oil at the full mark.

The full mark is indeed the little indentation. And it's one quart between marks. I don't recall where the "F" is located in relation, but if they put all five quarts in, you're probably a half quart overfull. If that's all, don't sweat it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I agree that 1/2 quart over is likely not to cause catastrophic damage, but I would still return to the dealer and make them remove the 1/2 quart. The reason being that if they do this a time or two they will be MUCH more careful in the future. Mistakes that don't carry a penalty get repeated more often.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I would have the dealer put it what's stated in the manual. I use

10W30 in the desert out here (the dealership uses Castrol GTX bulk).
Reply to
Steve Richards