where can I post a pic??

Hey guys, I was wondering where I can post a picture or 2 of my '79 so I can get some opinions on what it may be worth. I am thinking of selling it due to some financial burdens, but dont really want too. Wife says no..lol. Ive booked it thru NADA and in my opinion its falls into the good range. Im not sure what the rally package would be but I doubt I have it..lol Anyways, its 79 L48 has no emissions package, 4 speed tranny. motor has 86k with a rebuilt top and racier cam. Interior is not as nice as exterior but is no way bad.the seats are not original, hence the covers. ( they came out of another 79 but are 2 different colors. The only real cosmetic work needed are the rubbers for the windows and t-tops. I bought it 5 months ago for $7,000. Its my first vette, a culmination of 26 years of wanting one but I cant price sentimental:) Any thoughts guys?

Larry in VaBeach

Reply to
Larry & Michele

this is a text only group. however, anyone interested can always email you for pics. or you can put your pics on a URL and post the link here.

g'luck

Reply to
'Key

cool..okay key i think i did it..lol..ya'll can see it here

know what you think Larry in VaBeach

Reply to
Larry & Michele

Two things wrong.

  1. Where are pictures of the engine area?
  2. Where are pictures of the interior?

Good luck, it looks nice.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

there ya go ...

Reply to
'Key

Is it just me or does the rear wheel well look too big or the tire diameter look too small in Pic #1? Something just doesn't look right..

Reply to
RicSeyler

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:11:45 -0500, RicSeyler puked:

The car looks like it's riding a couple of inches high for some reason.

lab~rat

hmmm..i dunno about such things...ya'll are the experts . im just the dummy with the goofy grin I can tell you this..back tires are BF G oodrich Radial t/a..P225/60R15. Is that not the correct size???

Reply to
Larry & Michele

an "expert" is nothing but a "drip" under pressure :-)

just kiddin :-) no pun intended !

Reply to
'Key

No, too small. The stock was 225/70-15 and the optional was 255/60-70.

Your 225/60-15 is a nice size for a econo Nova driven by a 45 year old unmarried secretary. But even a Nova would sport more if the guy wanted something aggressive.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

easy now..my wife is a 45 yr old unmarried secretary..i mean..umm ..never mind... Now i feel like a real wuss on wimpy skins..lol..but isnt a 225/70 even smaller?? I can see now im gonna be hustlin some side jobs for real meat..lol

Reply to
Larry & Michele

No, because the 70 series is taller. If it was a 225/78-15, it would be pretty big.

You have a tire roughly 225 mm wide. The height is either 60 percent of the width or 70 percent of the width. If it is 60%, then it is shorter, and a smaller tire.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Just to illustrate with numbers:

Larry's tire has a 135mm side wall height (from wheel rim to tread).

The original standard stock tire was 225/70, so had a 157.5 mm side wall.

The optional factory tires were 255/60s - 153 mm side wall. Wider by an inch but just slightly shorter.

Larry, your tires are almost 2" in overall diameter smaller than the stock size.

Now a question for Tom or others - did the 14mm circumference difference for the optional tire mandate a different speedo gear or is the measure within a margin of error?

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

Reply to
Larry & Michele

First I need to correct my previous post:

Not sure why my brain farted on figuring the factory tire circumference but it did. The actual circumference difference should be on the order of 28mm - at least I think I did it right:

15" wheel = 381mm _____ (2) side wall heights = 157.5*2 = 315mm Total tire/wheel diameter = 696mm (27.4" - which sounds about right) Circumference = (pi)d = 2186mm (86") _____ 153mm side wall height = 687mm diameter (27") Circumference = 2158mm (85")

_______ Larry's 225/60 tire:

135mm side wall = 651mm diameter (25.6") Circumference = 2045mm (80.5")

So, in response to your question I'd say the smaller tires are very likely the reason your speedometer is off. The speedo gear in the transmission comes in different tooth configurations depending on the trans, rear axle ratio and tire size. You probably have the stock trans and rear gear so the tire size is what's throwing it off.

For each revolution of the wheel, you're going about 5 inches less distance than what the factory equipment is calibrated that you should be going - that's pretty substantial.