Who was it who mentioned Fram oil filters and dropping oil pressure?

Page 12 of 16  
wrote:


Using a "known inferior" part and counting on the engine to last is what takes faith - and mabee a supersized side order of stupid to go with it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim wrote:

Or people who are on the skinny end of the bell curve, and have long term relationships with their cars.

Unless you happen to be the one unlucky bastard whose oil filter blows apart on a cold morning, and/or you're expecting your engine to last longer than 100K miles. I prefer to use "known good" filters to minimize my risk.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nate Nagel wrote:

There is no evidence that what you are spouting is anything more than a superstition. It is not supported by eveidence. There are millions of engines that don't have the problems your superstitious beliefs say they should be having.      The obvious common thread in the vast majority of the anecdotes about Frams is that the problems occurred in engines that were already in terminal condition. It appears to me that it is at this point when the owner can no longer deal with the reality of a failing engine that one is most likely to turn to superstition and folklore for the answers.
    Take the guy who insists that Fram oil filters are no good because he hooked up a drill to the engine he just rebuilt and blew up the oil filter. This guy obviously has serious mechanical problems. The engine that he was speaking of comes equipped with both a pressure regulator and a filter bypass in the engine. But instead of looking for the real cause of his problems he is more than happy just join the gang of Fram bashers and forget about reality.

    Well your not minimizing your risk by avoiding Fram. Nor would you be increasing your risk by using Fram oil filters. An oil filter is not that complicated. It is a product like soap or cornflakes and we could argue the merits of those products endlessly also. But there really isn't enough meat to those arguments to be interesting at all, unless you start throwing in some super natural beliefs.
-jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

To quote someone with whom you appear to have a lot in common, "unsupported assertion."

You mean to say that a drill can spin an oil pump faster than a running engine? What if the OPRV were found to be in good operating condition? What if instead of a drill it was simply a cold start on a cold day while the engine was filled with the factory-recommended grade of motor oil? No, your mind is made up, no sense confusing you with facts.

You have yet to demonstrate that to my satisfaction, while there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Or you simply make judgements based on construction materials and techniques as well as in-service failure rates, in which case the Fram comes out on the bottom of the pile.
nate
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
N8N wrote:

Oh the OPRV was probably working all right. But the after market filter adapter the guy said he put on the engine was probably covering it up.

Hey this is not my story its just another clowns story. Why didn't you challenge the guy who told the story early on the thread if you find fault with it?

Yeah your evidence is googling for stories from more clowns, geesh.

And that is based on voodoo. Produce something besides clowns sitting around the internet campfire passing on implausible folklore to support your claim.
-jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim wrote:

You're the one making claims contrary to common knowledege, YOU back them up.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sure, common knowledge, in the same manner as John Glenn being the first man to land on the moon, Napoleon being defeated at the Battle of.Gettysburg and Tom Sawyer as the author of Huckleberry Finn. http://snltranscripts.jt.org/87/87acommon.phtml
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Heron McKeister wrote:

No, not at all. It's clear by observation that Frams use thinner cans than other brands, and almost as clear that the internals are made of arguably inferior materials, hence "common knowledge." There's also a wealth of anecdotal evidence of several different failure modes that occur apparently more often with Frams than with other brands.
If one has an engine that develops unusually high oil pressures, has an "upside down" filter, or one just wants to get the best engine protection, there's compelling arguments for not using Fram.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim wrote:

(for those who've forgotten posts from weeks past.. I blew up an Orange Fram when priming (w/electric drill) a rebuilt early chev 283 with an aftermarket "spin-on adapter")
I'm "the guy". I forget the brand of the adapter, but it was a respected name brand item. I'd used the same exact ones before with no problem.
After blowing up the Fram filter, I put on a Hastings filter and topped the oil back up.
The Hastings *didn't* blow up.

I'd say "Jim" is the clown. I'm still trying to decide if he works for Fram or one of their distributors; or if he's just an argumentative Fram fanboi.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:30:33 -0800, nobody > wrote:

They rarely do. Funny how a lot of people that do long-haul truck maintenance insist on Hastings....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"nobody >" wrote:

If you were really interested in having a strong filter container on that engine you would have stayed with the one that was designed for and came with the engine.

Here is the problem I have with the common folklore that some people are pretending is common knowledge. The folklore got its beginning with people cutting open filters and analyzing the contents - something similar to reading tea leaves in a cup. If you look at the big picture the number of people who share this common set of beliefs about Fram filters being junk is pretty small compared to the number of engines that are using Fram oil filters without any incident. That is there are a large number of people out in the world at large that apparently do not buy into the so called common knowledge about Fram filters. The group that does nurture this common folklore is small and the number of Fram filters that this group uses is even smaller since many of them claim to have used only one Fram filter in their whole life. Yet this small group produces a rather astonishingly large number of all the stories about Fram filters being the bogeyman. Of course the folklore includes a ready explanation for this. This group is knowledgeable and all the others are ignorant.
    The Fram folklore stories seem to run along lines like this:
    I modified the lubricating system on my engine and the filter blew up I'm sure the fault was due to the Fram bogeyman.
    I bought an old beater for $500 that has 250K miles. It has low oil pressure. This must be the Fram bogeyman.
    My engine has low oil pressure. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the slick 50 i have been putting in it. it must be the Fram bogey man again.
    And so on and so on.
    I'm sorry but i don't buy that these are stories from knowledgeable people. IMO these are stories from superstitious people.
-jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim wrote:

Show me where there was *any* significant change in the small-block Chevy V8 oiling system when GM changed the block casting to use spin-on filters. That Fram should not have blown up.
If I remember correctly, GM used a similar adapter for a few months to use up the "non spin-on" block still in the parts pipeline.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"nobody >" wrote:

Well guess what I don't disagree with that statement although it is possible GM modified the oil pressure regulator. I know that fram oil filters don't blow up for all the people who install them on cars where the owner hasn't modified the lubricating system and it is working properly. So what conclusions does one draw from those facts put together?

That may be true but I suspect that a Fram filter never once blew up when used on any of those.
-jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim wrote:

That's demonstrably not true for *all* people. 80's aircooled VWs for example, would develop very high pressures on cold startup (I've seen them peg 100 PSI gauges) and they could and did occasionally pop Frams.
Of course, as always, don't let facts get in the way of your ranting. It's kind of amusing watching you proudly demonstrate your ignorance and prejudices on a worldwide forum for all to admire!
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nate Nagel wrote:

Yeah right. And of course you can point to complaints from VW that document this?
    All Fram filters conform to manufacturers burst pressure specs. I've never seen a car makers burst pressure specification that is below 200 PSI and some of them are a lot higher.

You mean like facts that some engines have malfunctioning components like pressure regulators?

Are you talking to yourself again?
    Why don't you take your complaints to the FTC if you have shred of proof to support them? I'll tell you why you don't because your stories are fabricated from thin air. If you have even a scintilla of evidence to back up your complaint the FTC will take you very seriously.
-jim

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim wrote:

Why would VW complain? Their engines and most aftermarket filters have no problems.

Then why do they burst? Could it be because they're marginally built?

Non sequitur. We're talking about engines that are performing as designed.

I just don't buy Fram filters and I don't have a problem.
The fact that you continue to obfuscate and berate those that choose such a simple fix is beyond me.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nate Nagel wrote:

They burst for the same reason other filters burst. The engine develops considerably more oil pressure than the manufacture's oil filter pressure specification calls for. If you have any proof at all that Fram filters do not meet manufacturers specifications and burst at a lower pressure that would be one thing. But you don't have any proof. You just have a stream of bullshit.

Your talking bullshit.

I have no problem with that, But when you repeatedly and insistently attempt to spread unsubstantiated rumors don't be surprised that that someone calls you full of shit.
-jim

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim wrote:

But if I have a product, any product, and it fails, and a second one fails or I hear of someone else who has the same problem I'm not going to go out and blindly buy another just because the manufacturer claims they are all made to the design specifications. It failed.
And I'm going to tell everyone who asks, or will listen. It's human nature.
There are other products out there that do the same/better/worse job but they haven't failed on me.
It's not bulls*t it's commercial realty

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bugalugs wrote:

If what you say were true you could have Fram put out business. But you don't have a shred of evidence. It's just all made up stories. Take a fram filter to the FTC and prove it doesn't meet design specs and they will shut them down. But can't prove a damn thing because its all hot air.

Yes it is the nature of ignorant and superstitious humans.

Its bullshit.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You've got a LOT of faith in a federal agency.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.