Distributor replacement with a vacuum advance

Can a person replace a hall effect setup on an 1988 3.9 d150 with a distributor with a vacuum advance. That way I could put a regular carb on it and do away with the smec?

In article

Sure, though there's a little more to it than just replacing the distributor.
Don't forget, smec controls a lot more than just the fuel and ignition systems. The idea was for smec to replace control componants throughout the car. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
John
John wrote:

Thanks you guys I figured that was going to be the answer. Maybe I just pay a professional to fix it. Thats a noval idea huh.