mpg drop and loss of umph.

Page 3 of 3

Or inmature? :)
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 19:43:53 +0000, Tom Lawrence wrote:

he's using SnoMan's spell checker ;)
Chris
05 CTD

Dude, I did not know that I had to approve everything I said with you. Tom, seriously if you don't like what I say, then simply ignore me or K/F me, not hurt feelings here.
Or we could continue on the way we are and when that cock sucker stop stirring the shit as he has in this thread, life will be "normal" again.

Tom,
not
I never said that I had to approve anything that you say or do. All I was trying to do is is give you an unbiased opinion on these posts. It really is not a matter of what I like or dislike, especially since these posts are not directed toward me.

What reason does he have to stop. Take it from someone who played both sides of this game. If he feels that he is correct AND you continue to react the way you are, he not only has no reason to stop, he will take every opportunity to make you look the fool. Max and I used to do this to each other all of the time. For a while it was funny but then it just gets old.

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (05-Apr-07 7:18 AM):

Thanks for the info, Roy, and Beryl, thanks for the link. It is useful. Just gotta beg, borrow or steal a spark puller, and have a look.
Gotta change my oil too, if I can reach the darn filter!
Fortunately, it's finally cooled off down into the high eighties here, so it's bearable to be out working on the truck. Or rather, pretending to, since everything I know, pretty much, I've learned here. Take that however you want to :)
jmc
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:06:10 +0930, jmc wrote:

I just traded in my 2001 Dakota Quad 4x4 4.7V8 Magnum and had that problem once, it was the wires. I replaced the sparkplug wires and found that one a burned (opened) at the base where the metal snap ring meets the plug and the cable. Checking the others (it was about 80K at the time), they were showing signs of wear. Replacing the wires with quality ones fixed it.
--
Leythos
snipped-for-privacy@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

I bought a 2000 with Dakota with 39K on it back in Nov 05.. Totally hideous on gas.. I could watch the fuel guage dropping as I tooled to work 3 miles away from my home. I accepted the fact that my truck was a gas guzzler and I was sorry for trading in my 96 S10 for it that was doing 28 highway with the 4.3... anyhow.. transmission started acting bizzar. upon doing some research I replaced the throttle position sensor $24.00US, and tossed in a new set of plugs. The truck woke up and was nice and snappy, and suddenly the fuel economy went way up and I was getting by on $22.00 worth of $2.35 a gallon of gas per week. I loved the truck and the performance of the 4.7 after that.

Change the air filter and use antisieze on the plugs if You have the 4.7.

-
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (03-Apr-07 6:06 PM):

Well, turns out it was *only* the Opal. But got to that in a roundabout way. Called an autoshop (one I wanted to try 'cause they're closer than my regular one), gave symptoms, said I'd like to get my sparks/wires checked. Asked if I was using Opal. Yes. She said that I'd need a fuel system service (cost: AU$220) and switch to Premium and that'd put all to rights.
After a quick convo with a clued coworker, called my usual service center, gave the same spiel.
He immediately told me that *all* I needed to do was switch to Premium - that the symptoms are only because of the fuel. Didn't need ANY service. Said something to the effect that you can't get high from sniffing it, and neither can your vehicle (I didn't get that right, but close enough).
He did say my truck probably needs new sparks anyway, as the truck has 50k on it now and they've never been changed. Does that seem right?
End of story: Put Premium in my last fillup. Truck engine hasn't blown up (as warned in my user manual. Yea I exaggerate a mite) and runs much, much better. Still too early to see whether the gas mileage returns to something reasonable...
Anyway, I had noticed that all the propaganda about Opal didn't mention two things: performance, and mileage. Just kept saying how it's safe for newer vehicles, meets whatever requirements, blahblahblah. Everyone I've talked to who's used it is now reporting the same symptoms I experienced. Every single one has noted reduced mpg (or kilometres/100 litres if they're Aussie). Most noticed a loss of power as well.
Hell, I even noticed loss of power in the *lawnmower*!
Which reminds me. Gotta go mow that 1/4 acre I now have, before sunset. Temp's probably dropped down to 90 by now...
jmc