breaking in engine

Anyone have a good gauge on how long it should be until I change the oil? I hear everything from a few hours to 3,000 miles. I was going to go 1500 - 2000 miles and change it with regular 10-30 go another 1000 or so and change it with synthetic 10-30. Anyone have any suggestions? All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Hitman0187

If your using syntec & it's in your IROC I'd suggest 5000 k's. But if it's just standard Oil I'd go to 3000 k's I use syntec & I don't even get 5000 k's on her in the summer. So I change it in the spring with a good filter slapped in for comfort. Take a look & see how dirty the oil gets as well. I use a K&N air Filter so it's pretty clean all summer. If your engine is new the average break in is around 3000 k's or so. Just remember the oil is a bit acidic so it's not to good to change it under the 3000 k's. Unless you have a few engines around to slap in the car. Depends on how you drive.

Cheers ( Good luck )

Reply to
Kyle

if you have just put the engine together and are starting it for the first time (first stage of break in) you change the oil afterward.

then when your driving the car on the streets 3000 miles. but always remember you'll never hurt it by changing it early.

--

S.S.I.N.

"> If your engine is new the average break in is around 3000 k's or so.

Are you saying that keeping fresh, new oil in an engine will ruin it? Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

If you just had the motor rebuilt. First you need to change the oil after you break in the cam. Then after the first 50 miles. Then go to 500 miles, then 1,500 then 3,000 miles.

After going thru all of that, your oil should stay a nice honey color.

I also would wait until the 6000 mile mark for the change over. This is to make sure you have Zero Leaks. If you find any leaks take care of them right away. Often times when gaskets are still fresh you can reuse them.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

if your really protective of your engine only use mobile 1 synthetic and k&n oil filters. it may be expensive but you'll see where your money went when you go to change your oil at 5000 mile and the old oil is still a nice gold.

--

S.S.I.N.

Reply to
Ying-Yang

Well i have decided to run regular 10-30 for 1000 miles then change it over to synthetic, whats the worst that could happen...... All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Hitman0187