Went to the Track

I finally got to get some real testing in on the T/A tonight. It was clear and cold, low humidity and a bit of a head wind. Kept lowering the pressure in the ET Streets till I hit 15 psig. Got a nice burnout and it hooked hard off the line. When the engine got into the powerband, both tires broke loose and I was heading for the outside retaining wall. I got out of it and back into it and the car decided to head for the middle of the track. Let out one more time and the car made up it's mind to go straight.

Best run of the night was 111 mph at 13.0. What's wrong with this picture? ;^)

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

You need more power. ;) Seriously, 111 mph = low 12's. (my car is 12.18@111 with 100hp of nitrous.)

That's wicked - you have enough power to break 'em free once rolling.

I see 11's once you can get that beast to hook up. What was your 60' time?

Ray who lives where it's cold and snowy. No drag racing in Dec....

Reply to
ray

60' was 2.203 on the 111 run, 2.326 on the 110.60 run and 2.149 on the 109 run (that was the exciting one). I had to upgrade the clutch and so far it's pretty hard to get used to. I redlighted every run where before I would start coming off the clutch as the 2nd yellow was illuminating.

No more racing till January 8th. :(

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

60' was 2.203 on the 111 run, 2.326 on the 110.60 run and 2.149 on the 109 run (that was the exciting one). I had to upgrade the clutch and so far it's pretty hard to get used to. I redlighted every run where before I would start coming off the clutch as the 2nd yellow was illuminating.

No more racing till January 8th. :(

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

The 60' times are off, maybe the track was really bad? Try lowering your tire pressure further. I run mine at 12psi in a 3,850lb 4th gen and with 1LE suspension parts (not ideal for drag racing) see 60' times in the high 1.5's on a comparable tire (27" Hoosier QTP).

Rich Krause

Reply to
Richard Krause

I second that. I get 60' in the 1.75-1.9 range with BF Drag Radials, 3.42 gears on a stock '01 WS6 suspension.

Ray

Reply to
ray

I think the problem is the rear leafs and the gas shocks. Since I'm running CalTracs, I'm going to call Calvert Racing and see what they say about a set of split monoleafs and some adjustable shocks. I don't think the WS6 2nd gen springs are letting the car plant enough to get the car to hook solidly. My buddy in a 71 RS with a 383 was getting 1.7 60' times while I was stuck in the 2.1 to 2.3s.

If I could get 60's like the ones above, I think I'll either hit low 12s or blow the ST 10 4 speed all over the track. ;^)

Dave(where did she hide that credit card)

Reply to
poncho462

What about disconnecting the front sway bar to soften things up a bit?

And hey, when you blow it up... that means you can build it up stronger.

Ray

Reply to
ray

There's a 72 block and crank sitting in the garage waiting sor the next build up. ;^)

I've been looking into swaybars for a while now and it seems that a "properly" installed sway bar should not affect the ability of the car to lift in the front or plant in the rear, but only control body roll. The culprit seems to be bushings that grab the bar too tightly. You can shim the bolts on the second gens to reduce how tightly the bushings grab the bar. I think I'm going to grease the sway bar bushings and play with some shims before I pull the bar. I like the idea of a good handling car that will hook at the track. The 4th gens seem to do a good job. ;^)

Dave

Reply to
poncho462