Firebird/TA Airbox Mod

here is a cheap way to modify the intake on a v6 firebird as well as a v8 trans am. unbolt the entire air box assembly (including the bottom half; should be just 4 bolts) get some 1/4 inch nylon spacers and put them between the radiator support and the air box and bolt the air box back down. it may require longer bolts. this will make that tiny opening a lot larger to get more air flowing into the air box. another thing you can do is to shave all of the baffles in the top of the lid. you can also buy a high flow lid but for starters the shaved lid works just fine.

jack

Reply to
Jack Conley

this only works on 4th gen cars....

Reply to
Jack Conley

Jack, These are actually the FIRST solid suggestions I've seen for a minor intake modification that doesn't completely mangle the airbox or the baffling in front of the compressor.

You are to be congratulated.

The "baffles" in the lid are actually called "silencers." The ammount of time it would require to properly shave them and get a resulting smooth surface would be quite a bit I imagine. Personally, I'd just buy a higher volume lid that's already smoothed. But your suggestion is a good one nonetheless.

GLK9MM

Reply to
William Allen Morgan

Jack's suggestion was for people who do not want to put in CAI ducting. Just allowing more volume in the airbox and then smoothing out the lid.

Even with a dremel.....P.I.T.A.

But the engineering is sound.

GLK9MM

I'm not convinced it would be worth the hassle vs. a lid. Even with a lid, you're getting a tenth at the strip. The homemade mods = 1/2 a tenth. I doubt most of you (including me) are good enough to be +- 0.05 at the strip. I also think the problem isn't the intake lid, but the resonator chambers and the general size of the lid opening going to the TB being the choke point. The lid I put on has a huge opening where the stock resonators squish down.

You'd be better off selling the lid on ebay in a few years to the resto guys and buying a lid with that.

Ray

2001 Trans Am 13.12 - lid + drag radials 12.18 - lid + drag radials + nitrous
Reply to
ray

: > Jack's suggestion was for people who do not want to put in CAI ducting. : > Just allowing more volume in the airbox and then smoothing out the lid. : >

: > Even with a dremel.....P.I.T.A. : >

: > But the engineering is sound. : >

: > Martin : > '01 Formula - MTI Air Box Lid, K&N Filter, Hurst-6, : > SLP Cold Air Induction & Smooth Intake Bellow : > Corsa Catback w/Premium Tips : > '83 V45 Magna : >

: >

: : I'm not convinced it would be worth the hassle vs. a lid. : Even with a lid, you're getting a tenth at the strip. : The homemade mods = 1/2 a tenth. : I doubt most of you (including me) are good enough : to be +- 0.05 at the strip. : I also think the problem isn't the intake lid, but : the resonator chambers and the general size of the lid opening : going to the TB being the choke point. The lid I put on has a huge : opening where the stock resonators squish down. : : You'd be better off selling the lid on ebay in a few years to the resto : guys and buying a lid with that. : : Ray : 2001 Trans Am : 13.12 - lid + drag radials : 12.18 - lid + drag radials + nitrous

Those are pretty much my exact sentiments. I didn't type it, but I was steering potential modders away from hacking up their lid. I still have ALL my OEM parts...intact! (Never can understand why people cut up their pipes.)

GLK9MM

i agree that buying a high flow lid is the best way to go... but i was just offering a cheaper alternative for those on a budget. nonetheless, raising the air box to allow more volume is a great mod. i noticed a significant throttle response difference in the mod.

jack writer of the original post

Reply to
Jack Conley

I too keep ALL my OEM parts and a modified air lid will not give you what a aftermarket "whisper lid" will. If I had a choice between a "bone stock" or a "hot rodded" Camaro, I would choose the "bone stock" one, thinking it had not been abused. So when or if I ever sell mine, I would put it back "bone stock" before pricing it. It would be worth more with the OEM parts intact.

Reply to
jbrainey

: > : > Jack's suggestion was for people who do not want to put in CAI : > ducting. : > : > Just allowing more volume in the airbox and then smoothing out the : > lid. : > : >

: > : > Even with a dremel.....P.I.T.A. : > : >

: > : > But the engineering is sound. : > : >

: > : > Martin : > : > '01 Formula - MTI Air Box Lid, K&N Filter, Hurst-6, : > : > SLP Cold Air Induction & Smooth Intake : > Bellow : > : > Corsa Catback w/Premium Tips : > : > '83 V45 Magna : > : >

: > : >

[...]

Yep. ;)

Of course, I plan to keep mine for ~20yrs.

And I never said a stock lid with the silencers removed would provide the same increase as an aftermarket air box lid.

I simply said that the engineering behind the suggestion was sound.

Sheesh people....you're all really starting to harsh on my mellow. Even that guy over there in the corner who's been silent this whole time. Yeah you....you know who you are.

GLK9MM

Starting to get a little paranoid on us Martin? lol

Bruce

1980 Firebird

Reply to
Bruce

Just stay away from my cocaine Bruce!

(uhm....joke...you know....paranoia.....cocaine....ahhhhh nevermind.)

: > Martin : > '01 Formula - MTI Air Box Lid, K&N Filter, Hurst-6, : > SLP Cold Air Induction & Smooth Intake Bellow : > Corsa Catback w/Premium Tips : > '83 V45 Magna : >

: >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
GLK9MM

How much room is there between the top of the air lid and the hood? I put the SLP cold air induction package (includes SLP lid) on and it looks like there could be barely a centimeter between the two when the hood is down.

Thanks

Reply to
Chaotica

Sorry man. I was just chillin.