1988 Firebird headlight motor problem

I have just installed two remanufactured Cardone headlamp motors part nos.

49-101 and 49-102 on my 1988 Pontiac Firebird 2.8 L V-6. Right and left side respectively.The right side is working properly. However, the left side lights but the motor is not getting power. The left side circuit was shorted when I reinstalled the old motor after inspection to determine the original problem which was stripped gears on both motors. The brush and spring assembly were not installed in the proper space causing the spring to hang into the cylinder and come into contact with the armature causing the short circuit. My dash lights and parking lamps went out. I replaced the 20 amp fuse and all is fine. I checked the 30amp circuit breaker fuses with a 6 volt battery and light bulb and they seem to be fine. I understand these little silver cans never burn out. I have two questions. The first is can I test the remanufactured motor by directly connecting it to the car battery to eliminate it as the problem? It works manually but does not power up. The left headlight does light. My second question is are there any fuses on the firewall in the box where the headlight motor wiring is connected. I checked all the visible fuses under the dash and they are good. The Pontiac service manual mentions fusible wires coming off the headlight motors which are lighter and are spliced together, and are designed to burn out. I believe I checked two of these wires and they appear to be OK. However, this seems absolutely primitive that the system would be designed in this manner when the motors can be connected to the fuse box. The headlight switch is working the right side but not the left. Can there be a problem with the switch? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Ray Botticelli
Reply to
raybott

First switch the left side headlight motor relay with the right side relay.

I used to know all about how those motors work but I've flushed all the memories out of my head because they're so painful. Get a factory service manual with a real wiring diagram and troubleshooting guide. Good luck.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light