94 Taurus 3.8L stalls after 45 min or so

Hi there
Got a 94 Taurus with 3.8L, recently had it in to replace the water pump. Now when I take it out, it stalls after 45 minutes or so with no warning. This
makes driving quite dangerous, I've stopped driving it now.
Any ideas what a water pump replacement could have to do with this problem? I've taken it back to the shop, but they are of no help, since there is no Check Engine light, thus no code.
Please help.

Find your coolant temperature sensor amd check to see if the wire to it is connected. "It should be somewhere on the water jacket before the thermostat housing." If it is connected, check to make sure the wire is not broken internally. If everything checks out so far, assume it is defective and replace the coolant Teperature sensor. Use a factory OEM sensor. Don't be tempted by the cheaper price of an after-market sensor.

I'm thinking this is likely coincidental.
If the shop told you there would be no codes because there's no check engine light, you should find another shop.
If there truly ARE no codes, then we need more info. Does it start, run and idle properly until it stalls?
What are the stall conditions... is this at a light, for example or it simply quits running while driving?
It is NOT likely the ECT sensor if it starts easily and idles well after warmup.
They plugged their diagnostic computer into it, no code. That'll be 70 bucks. ... dammit.
Guess I'll check the coolant temp sensor, I was already gonna search for anything that wasn't plugged in.
Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.
Thanks t
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

"T L via CarKB.com" wrote:

Check engine light does not have to come on for the computer to throw a code. Changing the water pump may have disturbed the CPS lead, causing an intermittent break. I'd take the car elsewhere for a proper diagnosis.
CPS lead? is this the same sensor referred to previously in the thread?
Sharon K.Cooke wrote:

No... there's no CPS in that year engine.. it uses a distributor And it is almost certainly not the ECT (engine coolant temp - two wires, btw)
UNLESS there's a temp related break inside it... but it really shouldnt stall, even then, just run real bad and rich mixture
Look... see if the ign module (TFI) is located on the side of the dist or not...some are remoted. if it's on the dist, buy the little tool to remove the two screws, remove the TFI and see if the white grease is caky-hard... it should be greasy.
If it is, then toss the module, buy a new one at NAPA..NOT a Wells! And make sure to lube it, have to clean off the caky stuff first.
What you have is a rare fail symptom of the TFI, I have only read of it.. usually the thing justcraps out permanently
Drive your pre-1996 Taurus until it heats up. Shut it off. Disconnect your ECT sensor and tell me if it starts up again...! When the ECT sensor fails, the signal to the EEC V calls for a rich mixture. Naturally that floods the engine and stalls the car. On the highway you are OK, but as soon as you hit stop and go traffic, the engine stalls and the car will not start up again until the engine cools down.
ECT sensors mostly gets screwed up when the pump is changed and the coolant was not properly recharged. 3.8L are well know for that.