Quarter Sales Numbers

Page 2 of 4
going to stop equating "American car" with "GM?"

Well, Chrysler is no longer an American company, and Ford's cars are horrid, much worse than anything except maybe the Koreans.
I also assure you that for somebody on a beer budget, a Maxima is very much a real car. Otherwise, I'd be happy to take suggestions for my next ride. Show me a sports sedan, priced in the mid/low-20s, that has the ride, interior quality, and guts that my Nissan has. I would have loved to seriously looked at a CTS, but they're just too expensive.
Rich wrote:

What about the Altima? ;)
Oh - that's Nissan as well.
Honestly, though - 175HP I-4 with no premium fuel requirement and a decent amout of space? What's not to like?
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 02:29:08 GMT, Joseph Oberlander

too cold, and the computer flooded the engine.
Also, the recent recall due to a screw up in the computer regarding the pre-catalyst could allow particles to enter the combustion chamber. Worst case scenario is the engine has to be replaced.
I was in my friends Altima, and the ride quality reminded me of a Cavalier.
Brad

What's to like about 175HP? What's to like about an interior worse than a Chevy? What's to like about goofy tail lights and cheap rear door machining? What's to like about a rear beam axle? What's to like about the champion of torque-steer?
Neo wrote:

You have to be kidding. It's not great, but it's better than a Chevy. Shoot, Ford is better than Chevy. Only Hyundai was cheaper than GM's econoboxes.

Changed for 2004. New exterior, new lights. Same underneath, but now looks like a small A4.

Since it's FWD, no big deal either way.

It has the stiffest body of any car in its class, so I think they figured it out pretty well. Honestly, go test-drive one and see how well it moves and handles. Test the SE-R Spec V also - huge improvement - like a hopped up Civic without any work.

Ford is beeter than Chevy??? When was the last time you've been in one? I did consider an Altima 2 years ago and got put off by so many things...

Ah, yes, the japanese recipe...

Say what???

One has to like changing lanes with the trottle alone... :-)
Neo wrote:

Unfortunately, Ford's Focus beats the stuffing out of GM's little cars.

Yeah. I hated the Altima as well. OTOH, the Sentra was nice. Evidently, Nissan makes great off-road and small cars, but can't get the big car formula right.

Hey - it works. Very attractive compared to the 2003 models.

I think so too, but not with flying colors. Yet, I could never stand the Mondeo or the Taurus, way below the competition from GM...

Argh!
I couldn't care less about either...

It may work for you, but when the profile of the new TL is from the B column onward a Bonneville and, backwards, a Phaeton, to me, it's neither, it's nothing. Yawn...
Again, shame a you don't get the European Mondeo. Highly praised, well-selling in the UK.
DAS --

We got the previous one (Ford Contour, Mercury Mystique). Didn't sell well -- too small inside for its price range, too conservative in its styling. Since the Focus has the same, or more, interior room, Ford decided to drop it in the US.

It looks very nice indeed and said to be much better than its pitiful predecessor.
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:31:40 +0100, "Dori Schmetterling"

I thought Ford was going to bring it back over to this side of the pond, but haven't heard anything about it in awhile.
A pity you don't get the Focus from Ford of Europe. Britain's top seller year after year. I rented them a few times. Nice cars.
DAS --

I drove one for 1500Km in Germany and Austria. Exactly the same POS as in the US. Not a difference whatsoever.
On basis do you make your judgment?
I had a Ghia version. Quite well appointed and well screwed together. As it was the booted version (i.e. with trunk) I found it very boring to look at. I refer the hatchback.
DAS --

As an ex-owner of a '98 Cavalier, you've got to be joking. The Altima is a far superior car in every conceivable way, interior included.
Also, Altimas use a fully independent rear suspension. The rear beam axle is long gone.
I can also assure you that the torque steer is only a big deal to auto reviewers and people who don't actually own the cars. Most of us learn to deal with it about 2 hours after taking delivery, if not during the test drive itself. Since I actually know how to drive, I don't find it to be a big deal.
Rear door machining? Now, you're nitpicking. What do YOU drive, so I can put it on my list of Maxima-killing sports sedans?

Coming from a Cavalier, I see what you mean...

My mistake. The previous Maxima was like that.

I prefer cars which keep it minimal. No, but no, thanks. I don't like to make excuses for lack of refinement.

Who's talking about the Maxima? If you can swallow the small trapezoidal window s in the rear doors of a car with barely any straight line, knock yourself out.
If you don't like it you don't buy it. Maybe many Americans disagree with your opinion.
DAS --

And you'd conclude that lemmings are thus the most intelligent living beings on the planet... :-D
Rich wrote:

Shocking isn't it? Long gone are the cheap econobox days of the 80's.