243000kms (151000mi) 5 spd

Steps I took were (as per haynes):

  1. Disconnect Main PGM FI Relay (its above the ECU in my vintage of civic)
  2. Disconnect plug at the distributor (its right behind it)
  3. Remove all spark plugs.
  4. Plugged compression tester into each hole and turned over 5-7 times.

Readings as follows:

Min 160 Max 194

#1 - 190 lbs #2 - 192 lbs #3 - 193 lbs #4 - 202 lbs

All readings rose very quickly, leading me to believe there is a good seal at the rings and minimal leakage in the valve train. I assume there must be some carbon buildup in #4 causing a higher reading.

Any comments on my findings?

I did not do a leak down test on it yet.....

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Terry in Winnipeg.

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

PS plugs all looked really good, and all the same. nice reddish brown color.. ..

:) t

loewent wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

I don't see anything wrong - are you having trouble?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Not really, just kinda surprised that the reading is as high as it is.... lotsa hard miles on that engine.

Is it possible that all the combustion chambers have carboned up and the reading I got is artificially high?

Is my diagnosis on Cyl 4 correct? What would a carbon buildup be indicative of? timing issue?

Just bought the tool, so its kinda cool. Gonna do a test on the fiancees 87 prelude today... should be interestin.... :)

Thanks t

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

oh yeah, and to add some fuel to the fire on Air Filters, I have been running a K&N stock replacement (drops into OEM airbox) since about 70000kms.

If it wasn't filtering properly, shouldn't the compression reading be a lot lower?

I drive tonnes of gravel roads (lotsa dust) and live in winnipeg (tonnes of salt and sand on the roads)

loewent wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

Did you forget to prop the throttle open? Don't forget the measuring tool could be inaccurate, but the 'range' of the readings look great.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Ah yes, i did use Wide Open throttle as well, forgot about that.

What would be a good way to calibrate the compression tester?

'Curly Q. L>> Hi there,

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

I'm not surprised bout the readings being good. I don't keep up with the advances in engine technology, but modern engines do so much better than those of my youth it really is amazing. It used to be that the engine life determined the life of the car.

I don't really know about the higher reading on #4. Your guess is as good as any I have. My son bought a used Subaru engine from a wrecking yard, and it had one cylinder that was something like 20% higher than the others. I assumed it had dirt in the combustion chamber, but we never took the head off to see.

But I sure agree - compression guages are a nice thing to have, and it never hurts to do a baseline check on a working engine.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee