Honda CR-V 2003: can the 12 volt outlet be 'always on'?

In my CR-V, the 12 volt outlet (which in the old days was used for a cigarette lighter) is not powered when the vehicle is not powered. I have a GPS unit that plugs into the 12 volt outlet, and maintains certain
information when powered. If I stop for a moment to go into a store, for example, and turn the engine off, that data is lost (and it also takes a little while for the GPS to find the satellites again). Can the car be modified such that the 12 volt outlet wills stay powered even when the vehicle is off?

I don't know how hard it will be to trace the wiring for the power outlet but of course you can run some sort of separate fused power to it. Or wire up a 12v socket just for the GPS in the same manner.
I found an un use 12 V terminal at the fuse box, taped it and ran my radar detector off that till on morning the battery was dead.
When I first hooked it up I heard a relay somewhere click, I have sense changed the location of the wiring no problems with battery drain. Can't remember what terminal I am hooked to at the moment.
Tom

If you don't mind a little under dash wiring it is very easy. Just run a line from the hot side of the accessory outlet to an always hot circuit at the fuse panel. Use an inline use to protect the circuit and cap off the now unused like at the outlet.

Actually, I do mind :) I know nothing about cars, and am doing the best I can to keep it that way. Do you think I could pay Honda to do this modification for me? If it is that easy, they shouldn't charge much.
Z Man wrote:

You can probably find a local car car stereo shop to do this
Brian Stell wrote:

and you might want to cut the wire to the lighter and reconnect it to hot. You probably don't want to just connect it (uncut) to hot. I believe that would make all switched devices always on.

I doubt a Honda dealer would do this. Like Brian said, find a stereo shop to do it for you.