2002 Sonata 2.7 Timing belt

Just bought the 2002 Sonata XL with the 2.7L V6. It has 102K on it. I have flipped through all the service records and found:
-oil changed about every 3000 MI
-coolant changed twice/ three times
-ATF changed once, powerflushed once
-power transistor for blower replaced
-the usual bulbs, air and cabin filters, brakes and tires
However, Google indicated this is an interference engine and I find no indication that the timing belt has ever been changed. The manual is unclear on whether it should be replaced (only in California? Why? So the timing belt doesn't break while you are fleeing wildfires and earthquakes?) and at what interval.
    I found instructions online on changing the TB on the Santa Fe. I presume the Sonata would be similar? It's $300-500 at a shop/dealer, or about 7 hours DIY?
    I also don't think the spark plugs/ wires have ever been changed.
    I am planning on "going through" the car before I put it on the road. I would welcome any advice on what should be serviced, anything to check, what brands to use, etc.
    Many thanks to anyone who replies.

Timing belts should be changed at 60,000 miles. While you are at it, the water pump is nearby and saves labor later if you change it now.
Many car now go 100k+ on plugs, but since you are going to put this in top shape, do it now and relax for another 100k miles.
Plague Boy wrote:

In addition to the water pump, change the alternator, power steering, and A/C belts. IMHO the A/C belt needs to be changed every 60K miles. The other two appear to be fine for 120K.
--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_september

The interval on the timing belt is 4 years/60k miles. I've never seen nor heard of one failing on a 2.7 engine. I suspect the language in the manual has mostly to do with the legality of refusing warranty service in the state of California.
hyundaitech wrote:

    I was at the Nissan dealer Saturday, and the Hyundai dealer was right next door. I stopped in and asked the service manager for a quote.
Timing belt: $425.00 Water pump: $200.00 additional w/timing belt Diagnostic: $095.00 for diagnostic scan.
    The service manager stated the car has 150 sensors in it, and it would be hard to quote a final price on the repair of the check engine light.
    I think I'll do it myself, but if the Nissan dies before spring, I may rethink that. 8 hours is a lot longer when it's 15F :-(
PB

Not sure if Jiffy Lube has the DIY scanner kiosks set up but you can always plug in there for a lot cheaper than $95.
- Thee Chicago Wolf