EVAP system code-I'm being taken for a ride

Help My 2001 Sonata check engine light came on and the codes came back for EVAP system leak small and large. I've had mechanics tell me the fuel filter needed to be changed (which I did) and that spark plugs need to be changed also, as well as air filter and about anythign else they can come up with. Do any of these have anything to do with the EVAP system. Car will give a little lurch when driving it and then not accelerate well and feel sluggish to drive. I get different stories from every place I take it and am desperate for some info from anyone who can help as money is tight and I don't have cash for extraneous repairs!

Reply to
debrina

The fuel filter, spark plugs, and underhood air filter have *nothing* to do with an EVAP leak.

On the other hand, the EVAP leak has nothing to do with the lurch and sluggishness, which could be related to the items above. On the other hand, if your sluggish acceleration is only at slow speeds or from stops, it sounds like the transmission is going into failsafe, indicating a transmission or transmission control problem, which should store a code in the engine computer indicating the TCM's request for a check engine lamp as well as more descriptive codes in the TCM.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Yikes sounds scary. Looks like I'll have to take it back in and see if they can identifiy the problem. Of note too is that the check engine light goes off as the gas gauge gets close to "E". Does that make any sense in the scheme of things? I did buy a new gas cap first off to see if that was the issue but unfortunately not.

Reply to
debrina

Yikes sounds scary. Looks like I'll have to take it back in and see if they can identifiy the problem. Of note too is that the check engine light goes off as the gas gauge gets close to "E". Does that make any sense in the scheme of things? I did buy a new gas cap first off to see if that was the issue but unfortunately not.

Reply to
debrina

could the EVAP message be from something as simple as a bad gasket on the fuel filler cap?

Reply to
nothermark

That makes some sense for the EVAP trouble code. How quickly the tank vacuums and bleeds down depends on the amount of fuel in the tank, so if it's a small leak (presuming it's an actual leak), it may bleed down slowly enough with the tank empty for the computer not to recognize the leak.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks. I was just told by Pep Boys where I took the car in to have it looked at that only a hyundai dealer can check these codes to see what the actual problem is. Imagine my fright now. I'll be taking it in today to the dealer to hear what they have to say. Hopefully I'll be able to take it elsewhere for service to avoid the massive expense I'm fearing.

Reply to
debrina

It sounds to me like you may have already experienced the massive expense by having a significant amount of work done that doesn't address the EVAP problem. It doesn't do any good to take your car somewhere where they cannot accurately diagnose the problem your car has. I personally don't think the dealer is the only place that can diagnose an EVAP problem, but it can be tricky to diagnose and does require special equipment.

Be sure to let the dealer know about the lamp going off when the tank is empty, as well. Relax, authorize the diagnostic charge, and let them check your car. If they're honest, they'll give you an estimate for the work and let you know the consequences if you don't have the work done. It's even possible that the repairs may not be that expensive. If you want to shop around, find out specifically what needs to be done, and call a few places. If they don't know what you're talking about, better to stay at the dealer.

Reply to
hyundaitech

So the mechanics have decided that there's a problem with the fuil tank pressure sensor. Is that a biggie to replace?

Thanks again for all your help!

Reply to
debrina

Nope. Don't recall the cost of the part, but labor should be low.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks. Just got the car back from the dealer. They went with what they thought was a faulty valve on the cannister. No charge. Drove back to work and car hesitated and ck engine lite came back on. Sigh. They're looking at it Mon and this time they think they'll check the fuel pressure sensor. Just an update.

Reply to
debrina

Last time I took a car to that chain.... the A/C developed a leaky line near the compressor a few days later and I brought it back claiming that they had damaged it. The service guy at the desk said "...for your car's kind of repair, we don't touch the A/C system.... you are wrong..."... unfortunately for him, a car just like mine was having the same repair done right behind me and. surprise suprise, the mechanic had the AC compressor unbolted from its brace and flipped back on top of the aircleaner. Unbelievably, the service writer STILL tried to claim that they never do it... even after pointing out the live example.

I met some folks who have worked there... they tended to put untrained people on repair jobs that are complex even if the employee complains. Imagine someone trained (only) to replace tires being told he has to take the dash apart to do some major repair....

Hope your local place is better than this... although I found similar incompetence in that places' shops in other parts of the country too (relatives used to get service done there).

Reply to
KWW