mpg on a Sonata 2006 GS

1800 miles, 4th tank of gas averaged 20.3 mpg, mostly local driving, trips of about 5 miles at a time. is that about right?

Seems a bit low to me. I get in the 22-23 MPG range with the GLS V6.

Seems a bit high to me. I'm getting 19-20 mpg in town on my LX.
Rob

What does your trip meter's average speed show? At 39mph, which I estimate to be about 85% highway and 15% city, my GLS V6 gets 26.1 MPG measured.
Be aware that the trip meter is not real accurate in varying conditions. Mine is always within 1 mpg in general driving, but city driving can confuse it.
--
Bob

I have a LX and get about 18 mpg on my commutes. As they say..ymmv
My avg speed is 24 mph, but max speed is like 40. Quite a few stops and some hills
On 10 Apr 2006 09:06:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Your average speed is awfully low. Sounds like 60% city, 40% highway, but hard to tell.
Have you tried tuning your ESC off for a tank of gas? Some owners are saying it drags down their mileage. I really doubt this, but it's possible.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

How is it possible?
Matt

ESC acts on throttle and brakes. I think either could *possibly* have an effect on mileage.
Hey, I'm with you Matt. I've tried mine with ESC off, and can't notice 1 iota of difference. Others are saying it adversely affects their throttle action and general performance. I suppose it's possible that the ESC could be glitching, causing it to apply a little braking or impeding throttle input. Dunno!
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Only if you are driving such that ESC is activating often. I've only had mine activate a couple of times during the past winter and I really had to work to make it engage. The one time it did unexpectedly was when I pulled onto a major highway that was covered with ice one morning. I hit the throttle a little after shifting into second and the engine started bucking like a bronco. I let off and it stopped. I did it again and noticed the ESC light and put 2 and 2 together. I was somewhat disappointed in how abrupt the ESC was. Nothing subtle about it.

I guess anything is possible if it is malfunctioning, but in normal driving it shouldn't be doing anything other than monitoring.
Matt

Or the ESC is activating a lot more than it should.

The people are experiencing something. They say the car feels peppier and handles better in normal driving when the ESC is turned off.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Then they should certainly have it checked out. They shouldn't just run with it turned off. Then again, I know lots of people who are very susceptible to the power of suggestion. I can't tell you how many people tell me that since they (switched to Amsoil, used STP fuel additive, insert your favorite snake oil product here...) they are (getting 20% better gas mileage, their engine/transmission/differential runs 30 degrees cooler is much quieter, etc.) and all other sorts of magical things.
Matt
justfinished a 2200 mile trip with my V-6. averaged 21.5 to 29.5 on various legs of the trip. at 68 mph average mpg was about 22 at mostly 80MPH in Arizona dna NewMex. car with two peole amd ALLLL our luggage. Back seat and trunk completely full. best was in Okla with average speed of 55MPH and usually going about 65 MPH. YMMV and I wish it was more!
REgarding my 24 avg mph..the driving is through towns, etc. my peak speed is 40 mph, and spend a bit of time at lights.
As a test, I tried some short term tests on the highway, using the trip comuter. I was able to get 34 mpg going level at 55 mph, drops to 29 mpg running close to 70. This was level road for approx 2 miles. 2400 miles.