Ford GT, 4 mpg??

When driven flat out that is what it gets. I can't help thinking that a Cobra boosted to 550hp driven flat out would get better mileage. I wonder how the GT consumes that much gasoline? BTW; That's GT and not the wrong name for it, the GT40

Reply to
rander3127

Yep, 550 horses requires a large amouynt of fuel.

I doubt it. I'm only averaging 15 city with a few tanks in the 18 mpg range when I take a short trip. That's on a stock engine and the stock pig rich tune.

Easy, 550 BHP...

Ford GT, correct. I also hate when people call it the GT40, or the new GT40. The new GT is 44" tall so if people are going to call it something make it GT44. You say that sounds stupid? So did the execs at Ford, that's why it's only called the GT! ( My Lottery Car)

Reply to
WraithCobra

If you can afford the sticker price, you aren't worried about the operating cost.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

My wife's Grand Cherokee has one of those information displays, and one of it's functions is instant mpg. When stomping on it (like merging onto the freeway), it reads about the same.

Any high power\displacement car driven at a track at full out will do about the same.

John

66 2+2
Reply to
John Del

Well do the math. 550 HP. Lets say a bsfc of .5 pounds/HP/hour. Gas at 6 pounds/gal. Thats 45 gallons an hour at sustained maximum HP. How fast is this think. 180 mph or so. Well there you go, 4 miles per gallon. I bet it will get 15 or better going to the grocery store.

Reply to
DriveSpy

FYI: Safir Engineering bought the rights to the name "GT40" in 1985 and built cars until 1999 with chassis numbers continuing the sequence where the original Ford cars stopped. At the 2002 Detroit Auto Show, a new "GT40" Concept was unveiled by Ford. Ford had never claimed "GT40" as a trademark. Demands of $40 million from Safir for the name were rejected, and the car was known officially as the "Ford GT".

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

doing some track-time it probably gets 4mpg, I bet it gets better mileage on open road. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Even though they tried to buy the trademark and failed. Kinda like them using "Cobra" for so long and Shelby suing, that is, until they came to a compromise. Now there's 2 concepts from Ford that have Shelby's writ of approval. Like Ford needed it for something besides publicity. Puhleeze!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Didn't know that, cool. There was also a "GT90" concept before that.

Reply to
WraithCobra

The Viper was rated between 6 and 8 (if you could find a place where you could legally take it above 3rd gear... LOL).

Let's see. How big i the tank? And how many times do I need to stop for fuel to get to the grocery store? Worse yet... how many times do I have to refuel to get to the gas station?

Let's see, at a modest $2 per gall>When driven flat out that is what it gets. I can't help thinking

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

What does GT stand for anyway? Gas Tank?

Gumby...

Reply to
Gumby

Gran Turismo

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

"V'ger" wrote

Ya never can tell these days.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Yeah, just drive my 1980 351M Bronco NICE, and you get 9mpg, maybe 10...

15mpg MAX on the highway. Put it down and it's worse. But damn, it's a great truck and I consider my 5.0 the econo-car! :)

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

I agree. For example, see the misinformation I responded to earlier in this thread...

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Same kind of thing happened with the new 500. They wanted to call it Futrua, but Pep Boys sued since their tires are called Futrua now and Ford hadn't trademarked the name.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

"MadDAWG" wrote

I think you mean Futura. Futrua sounds like a Fanta flavor. Aren't those commercials annoying?? :)

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I just came across this on cnn.com:

The article talks about the great mileage of the Honda and Toyota Hybrids, then switches to low mileage:

At the other end of the ratings, the two-wheel-drive version of the Dodge Ram Pickup got only 9 mpg in the city and 12 mpg on the highway. That edged out the high-end sports car Lamborghini L-147/148 Murcielago, which got 9 mpg in the city and 13 mpg on the highway.

Vehicles more than 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight, such as the Hummer H2, are exempt from federal fuel economy requirements. The other vehicles among the top gas guzzlers are other high-end vehicles from Lamborghini, Ferrari and Bentley, as well as the manual transmission version of the Dodge Ram pickup, which came in at No. 3.

Reply to
D.K.R.