Re: How to replace a starter on a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo

Yep, remove exhaust. As well, in order to drop the exhaust down far enough, you have to either remove the transmission brace, or take the exhaust loose at the muffler(or converter) I believe. In my instance, I brought it in to work(there's a garage and full time mechanic here) and had him do it. Instead of removing the entire exhaust or brace or anything, we took the exhaust loose on the left side only, from manifold, cut the pipe and removed that section, put the new starter on, then hooked back up to the manifold and welded the pipe back together. Not totally kosher I suppose, but vehicles here in my state are only inspected when bought/sold... so... :)
Good luck!

I removed the solenoid and starter drive housing seperatly from the main housing. The three seperate pieces will clear the exhaust. Worst part is rotating the starter 180deg to get to the main bolts holding it together. I tried to drop the exhaust, but the flange is in a spot requiring about 2 feet of extension on your impact. With that much extension your impact is pretty worthless. Once I figured out the shortcut the whole R&R took about a half hour. Hope this helps. PS-I did have the truck on a lift, so if you are lying on your back this could be a bit more difficult.