Trooper Bighorn Automatic Problems

My 94 Bighorn 3.1 Auto has an interment gear select problem. Sometimes when I select reverse the reversing light does not come on. On other occasions the engine will not start in ‘Park’, but will start when in
‘Neutral’. I have been told that this may be something to do with a switch at the base of the select leaver. Any ideas please?