egr code/ + another weird problem

my engine light has been going on and off for a while now. when it is on it is steady not flashing. i get it checked all the time at auto zone and it is always the egr code. i have replaced the egr valve and cleaned it but still keep getting the code.

my other problem is that when i start the car and try to push the button on the shifter to take it out of park the button wont push and i cant get out of park. i have to push the break over and over until the button will push in. i dont think its the tranny because i dont have a problem once it is out of park and it drives fine. please help!!!!

Reply to
Anonymous

ps. its a 98 isuzu rodeo 3.2l v6 4x4

Reply to
Anonymous

It's probably not the EGR valve itself. There is a tube inside the common chamber (intake manifold) that goes from the EGR valve to the front, near the throttle and it's probably plugged by carbon deposits.

You can do some cleaning by removing the throttle body and accessing the tube through the throttle opening. Alternatively, you can remove the intake manifold and clean everything in sight.

I did this on my 98 Amigo last month. The tube was almost completely clogged.

There are some photos of this tube here:

reader