Cool air intake for Elelbrock carb

Does anyone make a cool air intake for a normally aspirated carb? I have a chevy 350 in my Jeep CJ-7. It gets so hot in the engine compartment that sometimes the engine will cough from sucking in such hot air.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

If you looks close, you should find a ram air scoop just behind the driver's side headlight on the CJ7's I believe.

Be warned, if you do any water crossings, this fresh air scoop will ram the engine full of water if it comes up over the bumper....

Some YJ's are 'really' bad for that, their scoop is below the headlight.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Mike, the old six cylinder had the ram air scoop. When I put the SBC in I removed the Ram Air Scoop and replaced the air filter housing w/ K&N open round filter i.e. the housing is open to the engine compartment.

Any idea if some>> Does anyone make a cool air intake for a normally aspirated carb? I have >> a

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Most stock style air filters have the snout for the corrugated hose. I helped one gent with a Mustang 5.0 that has dual snouts for dual hoses. I have seen folks use ABS pipe to route intake air.

Mike

Jo Baggs wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

CJ grills have cold air intake cut-out on both sides. One could hook up dual air hoses by adding the plastic collar to the right side.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Lee, I know the grills have the cut-outs. I'm looking for the actual hoses to connect to my air filter. Any ideas where to get these things? Actually I was hoping to get some of the aluminum round tubes to connect, kind of like the K&N cool air intake kits. I don't see where anyone makes these things for aspirated carbs.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Something like this?

Not that it is the correct one, but should give you a starting point.

I have seen people use dryer duct, even the aluminum stuff, but personally I don't like having a chance that something will get ingested by the engine.

Reply to
DougW

Have you considered something like a Ram air hood scoop? OR some CAI systems use the vent scoop that's used for your heater, turned around backwards. You could run that directly to your AC housing.

If you look on ROF Mac may have something that would work for you, or they may have suggestions.

K.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Kate

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Providing you can't get one from a junkyard, you could make one out of sheet metal. (the thin stuff most often used for duct work) Just mock it up with cardboard then transfer the template. Leave room for tabs that you can pop rivit or braze.

Take the measurements down to your local hardware store and look in the plubming section, lawn, airconditioning, and washer/dryer sections. There are quite a few things that go from square to round. Vents, drain adapters etc.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks Kate, not sure how you would use the Air Vent and connect to the carb intake without cutting through the firewall. Do you know of anyone who has done this? DO they have a weblink that shows how? Thanks, Jo

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Hey Jo, Mac on ROF is testing a MCAI that does use that air intake vent and it does involve some cutting. It's about $425 I think.

The guys in our club that are using it report good things about it. BUT what I meant by RAM air, was more like this:

down to the silver Jeep. I believe this will be my next mod.

I have no idea how old you are, but back in the day hood scoops were for carbed vehicles. They sucked cooler air in and dumped it in right on top of the carb. It's just not all that common with today's fuel injected systems to think that way. Everyone keeps it under the hood.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Here's another link. Now I realize that the application isnt the same as what you're looking at but you might contact the manufacturer and see if something is available or give it a good look and see if you can modify it to work.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Thanks for the info.