DIY Randall Cowl Air Intake

-27000 I've read good things about this intake. But looking at the picture, it seems like a very easy DIY project. Beside not being able to use carbon fiber, all one has to do is cut a hole in the firewall and attach an air duct tubing from the existing air intake to the hole. Am I missing something?

Reply to
G. Mack

First, good luck finding oval tubing that is the right cross section, is smooth inside, and will survive proximity to the header. Second, you're assuming your time is worth very little, and it will take lots of time to design the setup, chase down materials, and make it all work, probably including several false starts. Third, the Randall can be installed and forgotten, whereas a homemade intake may require periodic tweaking or replacement. Fourth, the Randall pops in and out in a couple of seconds without tools for master cylinder access.

I was going to make my own cowl intake, before the Randall appeared. I looked at several existing designs, including one my brother made, and didn't think they were worth the effort. Then the Randall came along, and on my next visit to Grand Junction I had one installed by FM.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I guess I need to speak up about this time about Randall. When I first saw his in put to "this site" and he asked if anyone might be interested in an intake like this, I had to look him up. The Randall family lived about 60 miles from me. Young Randall, was the one that was making the part, with his dad's help. I had been working at Boeing on the B-2 Bomber project for some years with the mat'l. that he was using and I wondered if he knew what he was doing. To make a long story short, he was doing "most" of the things correctly, but the inside of te tube was not finished off. I showed him what he needed to do and he made some big changes to make the inside finished as nice as the outside. I ended up getting one of the first units that were sold. The Randall family sold the system off and is no longer making them. (I'm sure they made out well on the deal. ) The family moved away shortly after that and I know not where. The product works very well and I wish I had one on my 2003, but I don't :-(

Note: When you are installing a Randall Cold Air System, I advise using a Hot Air gun to heat it to make it fit. NOT TOO HOT ! Heat will allow you to reshape the unit to fit better if you have a "mismatch" to the firewall. After you have the fit you want, heat the whole unit and it will setup in a perfect fit when it cools. I also used "closed cell" insolation tape (like used on pick-up truck bed to camper mounting, to fill in the gaps at the firewall. You will see what I mean if you get a unit.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

The truly anal retentive will also dress the edge of the firewall cut with door-edge molding. After priming, painting, and waxing the bare metal, of course.

(I did dab some touch-up paint on the bare bits, but none of the other stuff.)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Did you notice any gain in performance. FM claims that this unit w/ K&N filter gets a 1.6 engine five more hp. I've already got the K&N filter, so $160 for 5hp is not too shabby. It's similar performance gain as the exhaust upgrades for much less money.

I'm th> >

Reply to
G. Mack

I can tell there's less power loss in hot weather, which presumably is what the 5 hp claim is all about; don't expect to feel any difference in winter. What I really like is the resistance to pinging in summer. At

14? BTDC, I used to need 91 octane above 80?F, but can now run 87 year round. Heck, it should pay for itself in approximately 142 years.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny !!!!!!, You mean you didn't do all the stuff I did ???? :-)

If you ask anyone around here about me and how I treat my cars, "ANAL" is the first thing that they say. :-) My '91 was all polished or plated under the hood and I got a lot of good kidding about that. The guy I sold it to, won't bring it out to any of our outtings unless he has had time to clean it all up. :-) OK, so I'm retired and I have time to do things like that. What's wrong with that ????? :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS ( and yes it is clean :-) )

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Yes, there is a change. How much, I can't tell you. I do know that

4,000 and above is better. I did do some other little things to it and the guy that bought it still hasn't been able to figure out the power in autocrossing yet. :-) Above 4,000, it get away from him. I built the thing, so I know the steps that I made and what the changes did. :-)

I think you will like the unit.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Absolutely nothing, Bruce. As long as it's reasonably legal, a man's hobby is sacred and beyond criticism.

Don't ask me what my 2-channel audio system is worth...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You mean what it cost or what you could sell it for?

Reply to
XS11E

Har har. Let's just say that the retail replacement cost would be more than both of my cars together.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny Chambers wrote in news:lanny- snipped-for-privacy@news.kc.sbcglobal.net:

I thought I'd ask, years back my son built a very expensive stereo system and decided to not move it when he was transferred. He was very lucky to be able to sell components for way less than a penny on the dollar. People wouldn't buy any old outdated* stereo stuff.

*Old outdated = over 6 months old which is good when you consider computer stuff is old outdated in less than an hour...
Reply to
XS11E