stock tj air conditioning compressor cleaning

Last year I took out my Air Conditioning in my jeep, but never got around to removing the compressor. I replaced the belt with a shorter one to bypass it totally. Now I'm gonna try out installing on-board air with it but since then the intake and outtake ports in the compressor have been open for about a year or less, and I've even had it submerged when I got stuck in some watery mud. So I'm kinda sure there's crud in there.

Is there any special way I can flush the compressor out safely to remove possible silt/sludge/whatever? I'm guessing to flush it with oil by injecting it into the intake until it runs clean through the outtake? It's still on the jeep and I'd like to keep it on but if I have to take it off to do this I will.

I know people use the york compressor for their internal oiling ability, but I don't wanna mess with custom brackets and belts and cutting into my body for space, etc. I'm just tryin to see if I can save this one or buy another used one. Thanks!

Troy

Reply to
Troy

If it's been open and submerged, I'd say buy a rebuilt one. The clutch pack should be ok, but I'd say the compressor is toast.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

It's a compressor, not a pump. Since oil is non-compressible, you can't really run oil into the intake without damaging it. We used to use R-11 to flush out refrigeration systems that had had a compressor burn out. This stuff is a liquid, but evaporates quickly. (It's bad though, because of the ozone layer.) I don't know what they use now. What a rebuilder would do, is to take the compressor apart, clean all the parts, replace as necessary and reassemble using new seals. "Next time" put some plastic caps on the ports.

My advice, if you haven't run the compressor since removing the AC, is to try flushing or cleaning the intake and output ports with compressed air, as best you can. You may get lucky, and you probably won't make it worse than it is now.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

It needs to come apart and the rest of the system needs flushing. You are going to have to DIY because idiot A/C people will not do it right. The system needs fill and purge with a fully evaporable solvent and power cleaning with dry nitrogen or other inert gas. You will have to get a tank and regulator and a catch can so fluid dooesnt go through your vacuum pump and lock it up tighter than Hilary Duff's c.c.c.contract. (What did you think I'd say.)

Reply to
RapidRonnie

He wants to use it as an air compressor, for inflating tires, powering air tools and such. I think he can skip the power cleaning with nitrogen.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton