TJ retro air conditioning

Anyone put factory or after market air in a 2000 TJ? Is it difficult? Can the average Jeep mechanic do it?

Reply to
JimG

I added air to two cars. One, a 78 rabbit, I got a semi factory package from the dealer. The second one was a closeout from a company that was bought by VW, they then made the package I put on the rabbit. It was a under dash version that was rather common for the times. Neither one worked as well as a genuine "factory" AC unit. ut it caan be done. If you can find a donor TJ that would make it easier to do it right.

Reply to
Jo Bo

I put in air conditioning on my TJ every time I put the soft top down!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

But what's the point of having AC in a Wrangler anyway?

-Fred W '98 TJ Sport 5 speed (no AC thank-you)

Reply to
Fred W.

Fred, try driving your Jeep in hot humid weather on a daily basis for work while trying to keep your business attire from looking like you have been in a steam bath.... or have your wife/girlfriend refusing to ride with you due to something special she's wearing, etc.... maybe then you would get why many of us Jeepers have a/c. Not many of us can wear shorts and t-shirts everytime we drive our Jeeps nor do all of us live where the weather is mild enough that a/c isn't more than than a seldom-used accessory.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I live 60 miles Southwest of Washington DC. If you've ever been to the Mid-Atlantic area in July and August you'll know why I'm REALLY glad I have A/C in the Jeep. When the temp and humidity are in a race for 100, it gets pretty miserable!

I would check out the junkyards for a donor jeep for your A/C system...

John

Reply to
John R

I live 60 miles Southwest of Washington DC. If you've ever been to the Mid-Atlantic area in July and August you'll know why I'm REALLY glad I have A/C in the Jeep. When the temp and humidity are in a race for 100, it gets pretty miserable!

I would check out the junkyards for a donor jeep for your A/C system...

John

Reply to
John R

I thought the same thing when I lived in Chicago and bought my TJ - there were only a few days out of the year when it would have been nice to have A/C.

Then I moved to Texas. And after two summers, putting in aftermarket A/C is quickly becoming more of a necessity!!

Tirya

Reply to
Tirya

And you've been through two of the coolest summers they've had for a while - wait until it gets hot again . My son and his wife just moved up here because the Arlington summers were literally killing her (she has MS).

More to the point, why not pamper yourself if you can afford it and want to? Life is too short not to enjoy such moments of luxury - even in a Jeep.

Reply to
Will Honea

Exactly my point!!

If it gets too hot to drive in the Jeep with the top down it must be time to jump in the sedan and crank the AC way up high!

Besides, it was supposed to be one of them-there rhetorical, tongue in cheek type o' questions... ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.