Stripped Valve Cover Hole

Helicoil type thread insert. Ask at your local auto parts store. These are pretty easy to install, and the threads are stronger than the original.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

One of the holes that the valce cover bolts go into appears to be striped. How can I repair that?

Reply to
Joe

We used the "Heli-Coil" brand in the USAF on the SR-71 & I have used a couple of other brands since then (as a civilian). Either everything has gotten shittier since 1970 or the "Heli-Coil" brand is by far superior (at least in my opinion). The next time I need one, I will take the time to look further for the brand, instead of accepting what is in stock.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Would you classify the Helicoil a do-it-yourselfer (weekend warrior) job or should I find a decent mechanic?

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

They make self tapping bolts for the valve covers that are slightly oversized.

I bought a new cover and it came with them. They are for sure larger than the ones that were in my 86 CJ7.

Mike

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain