4.9L valve cover

I need to replace my valve cover gasket. Can anyone tell me torque setting for the valve cover on a 1984 4.9L? Tightening sequence? I know if I don't get it right the first time it will start to leak again. Thanks

Reply to
DeVere Loralynn

4-7 ft/lbs. I never found a tightening sequence, so I just start at the middle and make a Z pattern.

Dave S (Texas)

Reply to
putt

The 4-7 lb/ft is good. I usually try to get around 5. This is much easier done with an lb/in torque wrench set a 50-60 lb/in. You may have to recheck them several times especially if you are using a cork gasket. Make sure you use a good quality gasket if you intend to keep the vehicle. Personally, I like the FelPro line.

Also, make sure you flatten the cover around the bolt holes before you install it. Most of those things have be retightened and overtightened such that the holes are badly distorted making it hard to seal properly. Use a sensor safe silicon sealer to tack the gasket to the cover. A thin coat of silicon sealer on the head surface will also help if it ever has to be removed. Let the coat on the head cure or dry for 10-15 minutes before you install the cover which will help in preventing the gasket from moving as it it tightened.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut