Help!

I have a 2000 Fiat Marea 1.6 Auto. As I got in in to come home from holiday today it had a totally flat battery. No probelm I thought - I will just get a jump start. When I did it started but then started revving up like I was pushing the accelerator up and down. It eventually settled down at about 2500 revs. I managed to get home but whenever I got above 60mph it started 'chugging' and obvioulsly when in slow moving traffic was pulling against the brake as it stayed at 2500 revs. Also both the red brake pad and orange ABS waring lights were on. Also occasionally the gearbox oil temperature light flickered. Also when I got stuck in traffic for a few minutes the engine temperature went up into the red. Once I got moving it came down again so I can only assume that the fan did not come on as it should do.The brakes did feel a bit rough when braking but they have for some time. They don't sound like 'metal on metal'. When I got home I turned the engine of and there was a clicking coming from the steering column when I took the key out which lasted for a few seconds. The engine then agiain would not turn at all when I tried to start. With so many sympton I can only think it could be the engine management system. Has anyone any ideas. I was going to call out a mobile mechanic as I can't get it started but if it is the EMS is it the sort of thing one could deal with or is it a Fiat Dealership job. TIA for any advice.

Steve

Reply to
SC

Its possible you fried the ECU when you jumped it. Its not really a good idea to jump start cars with sophisticated electronic control units.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

The message from "**-**" contains these words:

Any real evidence for this apart from anecdote?

Electronics are usually very well protected and anyway the voltage from the donor car is going to be considerably lower than the host voltage because of the voltage drop along the jump-leads.

Reply to
Guy King

I'd say the battery was so knackered by being flat for a while that it wouldn't take a charge. Under those conditions, the voltage output from the alternator would be high, and could have caused those problems. If you leave the battery on an external charge for perhaps several days, it *may* recover. But I'd not worry about those problems until you've tried again with a charged battery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

& I've yet to hear any explanation as to why it's different to fitting a new battery. The only change from the old days is if you connect it back to front more things will care but that was always a foolish thing to do.
Reply to
DuncanWood

Why its...

"**-**"

What a complete load of crap.

How would the car know its being jumped? as opposed to having a new /charged battery fitted to it?.

As for sophisticated, car electronics are really old hat in new shinny boxes.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

I really don't know why I bother. Having seen two Fiat Coupe's with popped ECU's after they'd been jumped I'd say it was a distict possibility.

But hey I only work for a major British sports car manufacturer amongst other things so what do I know (and for those semi-ignorant readers yes that is a retorical question)?

Reply to
**-**

Was that from being jumped though or from somebody connecting the leads the wrong way round?

Reply to
DuncanWood

From being jumped, if you rattle the posistive lead against the terminal (numptys gettings a bit jumpy when you get a bit of a spark) it doesn't do it much good. Quite a few manufacturers are warning against jumping their cars. We give the option of supplying a trickle charger and charging port to constantly keep the battery topped up and avoid such a situation.

Reply to
**-**

Blimey you'd almost have to deliberately badly design the ECU to care about that. & conventionally you attch the leads before you turn the ignition on.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Absolutely. Even if switched on, the only thing drawing current would be the regulated 5 volt rail - the output devices would be quiescent.

It costs pennies to protect an ECU from voltage spikes - and I'd expect this to be incorporated for normal running anyway. The DC on a car is very 'dirty'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rhetorical question or not, you do not know how to spell *rhetorical*

Reply to
""manx.exile "

US Laptop = US Spell Checker

Reply to
**-**

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "**-**" saying something like:

That shows nothing more than the piss-poor design of modern ECUs then, if they're not protected against voltage transients caused by intermittent connections. Even fitting a new battery could give rise to that, never mind jumping.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

(for some reason I've not got the original of this, so sorry for the wrong attribution)

Did you strip the ECUs to find out what failed? Or more likely just take someone's word for it?

What 'British sports car manufacturer' uses Weber-Marelli injection, or are all ECUs just black boxes from Mars?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)