very poor gas mileage... dont know whats wrong

Got a 95 Miata w/ 30k miles.

Getting about 21 mpg... I use to get 25-26

All tires have 30 psi on all tires.. Just got my oil change Changed my air filter Put some fuel injector cleaners into my tank..

I dont know what to do... anyone have ideas?

-Sohel

Reply to
s0hel

Did you change the air filter before or after the MPG drop?

Does the car feel sluggish, idle poorly, lack power, hesitate, etc.?

If everything feels the same, you might need to run a few tanksful of fresh gas, then recalculate. If not, if you've got a '95 with only 30k miles, chances are that the plugs may be due for changing (and inspection, to see how rich/lean they're burning).

Too many possibilities, too little data to make too many comments at this point.

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@mverive.com

Reply to
Michael Verive

how warm should I expect the tires to be? What do you mean by sticking brakes?

-Sohel

Reply to
s0hel

I think Dave was trying to say is if 1 of the rims feels much warmer than the other 3 you might have a sticking brake caliper. The pads on that caliper will no doubt be much more worn than the other side of the car. The car should roll very easy with the parking brake off and the tranny in neutral on a flat surface. I roll my 91A backward all the time to position it in the garage.

Reply to
Mike®

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:05:49 GMT, "s0hel" wrote in news:hHbUa.98877$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.austin.rr.com:

[my news server is just starting to recover from a major self destruct... so there might be an answer to this question already :]

Sticking means that the pads do not retract as they should after being applied and keep on producing brake force and heat.

The wheels are used to dissipate heat from the brakes. Therefore if the brakes are sticking and producing more heat than 'normal' then the wheels will feel hotter than 'normal'. Hopefully this heat does not make the tires feel warmer.

What is normal is subjective, but if only one caliper is sticking, that wheel will feel hotter than the others. Front wheels have more braking applied so should be warmer than the rears naturally.

In my experience, the rears tend to stick more often than the fronts because they have the mechanism for the parking brake included. Here, where there is lots of salt on the roads in winter, they corrode and cause problems.

If the car can't roll on flat ground with a push, then the brakes are likely on to some degree. This is not desirable and can also cause brake rotors to warp.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.