1987 300D Turbo...124Chassis...

Greetings,

I am looking at a 1987 300D Turbo, 124 Chassis, with about 224K Miles on the Vehicle. It has had a new engine installed at about 160K. The unit is on a local dealers lot. He said the previous owner had a new Battery, Radiator, tires installed recently. I started the engine and there were no problems. Ran the A/C and it was cool. Body looks good, maybe some new paint. The EGR has been plugged, the wipers for the headlights have been removed. Looks like a K&N Air filter has been installed. If I buy it, I will probably install the original Filter assembly, if I can find a cheap, used, one.

My question is, what else should I look for? The price is $3800. Seems like a good deal. I bought a 1984 300D Turbo for $3700 in 1999 and it has been a great car.

Thanks for your replies... Bill in Spokane, WA

Reply to
Bill Pelka

EGR????? I am not wise in the ways of diesels but an EGR on a diesel?Everyone feel free to put me in my place on this one if I'm wrong!

Negotiate a better price also,seems sort of high!

Reply to
CaptainW116

This straight six isn't as tough as your 300D five cylinder. This otherwise good engine can't be overheated without risk of cylinder head cracks and or head gasket damage.

I wonder why the prior owner bought a new radiator before he sold the car.

Suggest its purchase be contingent on a satisfactory compression test.

I agree the K&N ought to go - tells one about the prior owner's priorities.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

EGR reduces a diesel's nitrogen oxide emissions.

Newest M-B 3.0L 24 valve V-6 intercools its EGR among many other combustion controls.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach
1987 has an aluminum head, costs about 1000 if you can find one !!! they are much in demand. have even been told that head cant be worked ie cant get a valve job on it.
Reply to
billemery

Reply to
Peter