280se 1978 fuel pump

Hello
I have a 78 280 se I just bought the previous owner states that he replaced the fuelpump and I should run a hot wire with a toggle switch to I assume run the fuel pump The can needs work the body is solid .
Any advice as to why this should be done
Thanks
Buddy
You need new fuel pump relay to fix that problem.
You should fix this because the fuel pump relay is missing or broken. That relay cuts off the power to the electric pump if the engine stops - like in a crash - so fuel doesn't keep flowing and cause a fire.
permission.