300sd while smoke

i have a 82 300sd that from time to time puts out whitish smoke ,does not smell like antifreeze.smells like oil burning,the engine does have quite a bit of blow by bit dissapointed with onlt about 500 000 km
on it when my volvo with the same ileage has an engine that is like new inside,know this because i had the head off and it still has the original factory finish etc etc
After 310K miles this engine may be getting to the point of needing an overhaul. Blow by and smoking are the usual symptoms. That need can be confirmed with a compression check.
Yes, some M-B diesels run on and on for many hundreds of thousands of miles but those have had meticulous maintenance since new - oil change every 3K miles etc. You don't mention the car's history.
Suggest you assess your engine's condition before the winter.
Sounds like the rings are stuck or shot.
That's the infamous diesel screw-up engine, is it not. This one had piston crank arms that warped and skewed the pistons in the cylinder, causing scoring on the cylinder walls. That said, I've heard of some of these needing an overhaul at 70K, so 310K's pretty good. Overhaul won't be cheap, though. I've heard around $8K.
Original owners with problems got free engine rebuilds on these models 1992-1995 300SD and 350SD.
Is that right?
Tim