500SL Stereo

Hi, just a quick question, my buddy just bought a 1990 500SL and we can't figure out how to set the presets on the stereo, anyone know how it works?
thanx
zed
(1) Use the Scan buttons to find the station you want to save;
(2) Press and hold down the button you want to set ("1," "2," "3," etc.);
(3) Keep holding the button for about three seconds, you'll hear an electronic tone confirming the new setting;
(4) Repeat for other stations. (Note that FM has its own settings for stations and tone preferences; AM has its own settings for stations and tone preferences. The volume control is also controlled by vehicle speed, so that it increases volume as the car goes faster. As this is normally only necessary when the top is down (to counteract wind and traffic noise), it might be too loud when driving the car as a coupe. The dealer can change the automatic volume adjustment to step up louder or not as loud as your general preference.

I tried this method already, as soon as you click a number button it changes the station to whatever is already programed for that button.
any other ideas?
Newsgroup Reader wrote:

Tune it away from the station you want to keep, then Scan back to that same station. Immediately press the button and hold it down for three seconds.

Note that the radio will briefly play the previously set station before it resets the button to your new station. Hold and keep holding the button for three full seconds after tuning to the station you want on that button. You'll hear the old preset station, then a beep, then your new station will play, with that station now stored on the button, but you have to keep the button pressed for three seconds to get it done.