Buying a 500SL

Gentlemen.

I am in the process of purchasing a 500SL, 1992, 225.000 km, app.140.000 miles. Anything in particular to be aware of apart from the obvious?

Thank you

Walther

Reply to
himself

You would be wise to have this care completely checked by a competent MB mechanic before completing the purchase. Also be sure to get an extended warranty if one is available.

Reply to
Rockman59

I bought a 92 300 SL last August. So far, I've driven it about 1800 miles, and I've spent $3000 fixing stuff, and I'm not done yet. Watch the transmission...especially reverse. I don't know if the 500SL has the same tranny as the 300, but my transmission guy says the reverse bands deteriorate about every 100K miles on this year and model. Make sure the A/C blows cold. Mine is in the shop for troubleshooting the A/C system (leaking freon). I hope to God it isn't the evaporator ($3000 repair job). Right now, I'm pretty frustrated with the car. Every time I want to drive it, something new is broke. Definitely have a MB professional look it over closely. Nothing is cheap to repair.

On the bright side, I love my car. I love driving it, I love looking at it. I love the complements. I just don't love the reliability. Frankly, I think MB should be ashamed of themselves for producing such unreliable cars. I know because I had a 90 300E for 10 years, purchased brand new. Loved the care, hated the repair bills.

Reply to
Steve

Ok thanks for your advice.

Regards

Walther

"himself" skrev i en meddelelse news:ccuo8d$1s6c$ snipped-for-privacy@news.cybercity.dk...

Reply to
himself

It is apalling that things could go wrong on a 12 year old car.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Considering all MB cars are supposed to run about 10 years at a time for each part you replace... it is no surprise that you need to replace alot of parts.

The good news is once you replace that part... you are good for another 10 years... for all mechanical parts that are common replacement... common sense stuff.

Reply to
Tiger