88 300CE overnight can't start engine

Hi, I have an 88 300CE. it was starting fine the day before until this morning all the sudden it can not start. When I turn the key, the engine turns fine and strong but just can't start. I have checked the battery and it is fine. I have put in 1 gallon of gas just in case there is no gasoline in the tank. Since the engine turns strongly I believe the starter is fine too. Now I am suspecting the fuel filter and fuel pump might be the causes. But i doubt they can cause unable to start all of the sudden. Would ppl in this forum tell me what could be the most likely cause of this strange problem? Thank you very much.

James

Reply to
James L via CarKB.com

There's a relay that powers the fuel pump: i.e. fuel pump relay, that often first becomes intermittent, causing hard starting and stalling underway, yours probably died, R.I.P.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Update: I have taken apart the distributor and found carbon deposit. I tried to sand off the deposit and put back the disbributor but it didn't help. I ended up taken the car to pepboys and after $382 my car is running fine now/. The problem: bad distributor and the rotating head. I quess they just worn out and not the deposit.

Reply to
James L via CarKB.com

You already had it off, you could've saved yourself 200 bucks and did it yourself.

Reply to
Thom

Sanding isn't a good idea as it actually removes material and the gap is important in this case... using a solvent like water or alcohol to remove gunk and then drying totally is a better approach.

Oh, glad it's fixed anyhow. You were awfully close! Usually replacing the cap and rotor is a better idea then trying to refurb them, as these parts do wear.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph