Diesel Engine into a W124 300ce

I am intending to fit an engine from a Mercedes 300d 1990 into a 300ce

1990. Has anyone attempted this? Any problems? It seems a straightforward job, but wonder if the extras like Air Con, Cruise etc make it more complicated.

Thank you

Reply to
number14

Two things come to mind:

Diesels vs gas autos usually have different transmissions to better match the performance characteristics of the engines.

Depending on where you live and what the emissions laws and testing procedures are, this could be an issue. Here in NJ/USA, I don't know what would happen if you drove in to the state inspection station with a model that is supposed to be gas but has been converted to diesel. They punch make/model/year into the computer which I think determines what emission std's, testing, etc it must conform to.

Reply to
trader4

they do not test diesel engines in NJ, and the last time I was at an inspection station the guy started to test my diesel for emissions and I had to stop him, I guess he missed the 2 inch chrome letters spelling diesel on the trunk lid. So at that time they didn't check any computer __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply to
jdoe

Yes, it's true they don't test diesel's for emissions here. But that is different than driving in with a car that's SUPPOSED to have a gas engine in it. I'm just saying he better be familiar with whatever laws may govern emissions, modifications, etc, wherever he lives before he makes the switch. Even the newest MB diesels are not legal in all 50 states. The inspections people could take the position that this car as shipped from the factory is supposed to emit a max of X, Y, Z by law and you can't modify it so that it's emission exceed that, just like you can't take off emissions eqpt.

Reply to
trader4

if there's a diesel engine in the machine that's what it is, your conjecture is a bit wacky __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply to
jdoe

No, he is 100% correct. In California, the titles and registrations have a box that is clearly marked by the Dept of Motor Vehicles. It says: Mode of Power and is either G for Gasoline or D for Diesel. You can put a diesel engine in but DMV records shows that it is a gas powered car and they mail you a registration renewal that says "Smog check required". In order to get the paperwork changed, you need to go to a state referree to have the car inspected and certified.

Reply to
Karl

  1. so you go to the referee and get it corrected, no big deal
  2. I thought we were talking about NJ, people in CA seem to think that the bizarre rules that they have there are universal, hint: they're not __________________________________________ Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Reply to
jdoe

In your dream world this may work. In the real world, there are a shitload of laws governing the year range of the engine and smog equipment that engine requires and must be installed AND working.

If you don't like advice, whether it is for Calif or NJ, don't ask for it. Just do what you want to do. It is your car and your world. What you does not affects anyone else.

Reply to
Karl

How would you know how big of a deal it is or isn't? Are you familiar with the procedure in CA and worldwide emission laws and procedures?

No, if you follow the thread, the OP never stated where he was located. I posted the general advice that he should check into the laws wherever he's located.

Cars are sold as a package deal, with an engine, transmission and emission controls for that car that the manufacturer has tested as a package and that are certified to meet emission requirements as a package. Even the current Bluetec E320 diesel from MB is not legal in 8 states. And if you were to swap some random diesel engine into a gas car in one of those states, or anywhere else for that matter, I don't see why you think it's so unreasonable to find out what you might be in for before you do it.

Reply to
trader4

Your signoff seems particularly appropiate. You clearly have never had your car refereed in California. It's a very big, very trying deal. And historically those bizarre California rules become nationwide in a few years. So suck it up. Phil Brown Poud California native son

Reply to
Phil Brown

Where did you get the impression that the original poster was asking about NJ? (hint: he didn't specify where he lived.)

How're them apples?

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket