A rekindled love affair with an E300.

It's been a while since I posted here. This group has always been very helpful.

My aging girl ('93 E300 3.2dohc) and I started having some love/hate relations. As much as I tried to love her unconditionally, she stared stumbling and wining about the sudden change in daily habits. Namely the substantial increase in out commute. For about nine good years she averaged about 9500 miles a year, was kept spotless and toasty warm in her own carpeted hobble. Well as fate sometimes has its way, she lost her roof and was asked to nearly triple her daily commute. Some two years she performed faithfully but as I said, she moaned and wined. She needed this, then that. $500 here, $700 there, another $650 on this and $350 on that. I thought that our affair may have to come to an end for a, well, younger model.

Some recent issues with idle, belt, pulley's and muffler had me fed up! Enough was enough. I mean what did she want from me? I treated her well, kept her as clean as I could, well waxed. We always took the scenic rout and she was always well maintained.

So I put her in the hands of my trusted mechanic to give her one last chance. A little touch here and a small pat there, some welding below, two pairs of new STRUTS and SHOCKS and a few promises of a follow up in the fall (along with about $1500) have made her a different queen.

Its like we first meet again. She stood up proudly, purred like a new born kitten and galloped onto the highway like a young mare. She corners and dances like a ballerina.

No more leaning, no shacking or clunking. I drove her about a 100 miles and with added glee, gave her a long hot bath and a fine polish. I think I saw her smile and wink her tiny left wiper at me.

Were in love again :)

Doc says she's might want some control arms, ball joints and bushings in a year or two but who knows - she may stay happy for a while.

Mercedes Benz cars are some of the greatest autos ever made!!

Reply to
fish