Alternator / regulator **repair **

Although this article is written about a W126 it applies to a few other models too. In a nutshell a "broken alternator" is 9 times out of 10 simply a regulator
whose carbon brushes need to be renewed.
Here's how:
    http://articles.mbz.org/electric/reg-repair /
Cheers,
..... I'm suprised that an 80's vehicle still has brushes in it's alternator. Didn't virtually all vehicles have brushless alternators at this time?
cheers, guenter
Richard Sexton <See http://rs79.vrx.net for address> wrote:

I believe it carried over onto soem cars into the early 90s.
I find that after the second regulator you put in... the alternator won't last much longer... the voltage keep dropping. However, it takes about 5 years between each regulator change...

Well I have one year to go then. But at 15 minutes and fifty cents a year I'm not gonna sweat it :-)
Got that dreaded alternator bearing noise on my 1986 300E this morning.
Does anyone know what size bearings the alternator takes (or possibly what the part numbers are)? Any help would be appreciated.
Regards, Michael B.