Alternator / regulator **repair **

Although this article is written about a W126 it applies to a few other models too. In a nutshell a "broken alternator" is 9 times out of 10 simply a regulator whose carbon brushes need to be renewed.

Here's how:

Cheers,

Reply to
Richard Sexton

..... I'm suprised that an 80's vehicle still has brushes in it's alternator. Didn't virtually all vehicles have brushless alternators at this time?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I believe it carried over onto soem cars into the early 90s.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I find that after the second regulator you put in... the alternator won't last much longer... the voltage keep dropping. However, it takes about 5 years between each regulator change...

Reply to
Tiger

Well I have one year to go then. But at 15 minutes and fifty cents a year I'm not gonna sweat it :-)

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Got that dreaded alternator bearing noise on my 1986 300E this morning.

Does anyone know what size bearings the alternator takes (or possibly what the part numbers are)? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Michael B.

Reply to
Michael