Problem with alternator/regulator

While driving my Fiat Uno 45 (1992) the other day, the charge/battery warning light started glowing. The lower the rpm, the brighter it was glowing. So I assumed that the coals(?) were worn down. So I took out the regulator and saw that that was the case. So I ordered a spare regulator and put it in. Now the charge warning light is on permanently. In the paper that came with the new regulator, it said that you might have to polarize the generator if it doesn't produce a voltage by bridging the "'battery' and 'generator' terminals" for about a second.

I don't have terminal plan, so I'm not sure whicht contacts these are (although there aren't many options). Would I have to bridge the contact with the engine running or off? What else could cause this problem now after replacing the regulator?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Luemkemann